Posted by Audrey on Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 5:11pm.
There are 32 teams in the NFL. Sixteen of the teams are in the American Football Conference (AFL) and the other 16 teams are in the National Football Conference (NFC). At the beginning of the season, Julia tried to predict the teams that would be in each conference's championship by randomly drawing 4 teams (2 AFC teams and 2 NFC teams) from a hat. What is the probabliliy that the 4 teams she selected are the same 4 teams that will be in the conferences' championships? Express your answer as a common fraction.
This doesn't make any sense! Please explain!
MATH - Reiny, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 5:17pm
same question posted by Kate
MATH - Audrey, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 5:22pm
i still don't understand how you got that
MATH - Reiny, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 5:54pm
To do these kind of problems, you must have studied the difference between permutations and combinations.
This is a a "combination" type question
You are choosing 2 out of 16 different items in the AFL
that would be C(16,2) = 16!/(14!2!) = 120
You have the same situtation for the other league.
so the number of ways to choose 2 teams from AFL, and 2 teams from NFC
But obviously only one of these will be the correct final selection.
so prob = 1/14400
I really don't know how to explain it in any other way.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH! URGENT!!! - There are 32 teams in the NFL. Sixteen of the teams are in the...
- 8th grade math - There are 32 teams in the NFL. Sixteen of the teams are in the ...
- Math-Problem of the Week - There are 32 teams in the NFL. 16 of them are in the ...
- Math - If each 11 football teams In a college athletic conference played each of...
- Managerial Economics - A)Who has more monopoly power---Wal-Mart or the ...
- Economics - repost - assistance is appreciated - A)Who has more monopoly power...
- Economics - anyone have any thoughts on this? - A)Who has more monopoly power...
- math - Of the 15 teams in the National Hockey League Eastern Conference, three ...
- math - How many games are played in a women's soccer conference if there are ...
- Math - Getting stumped on this word problem. It is in the section of GCF. It ...