Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:06pm.
I need help!!!
I am suppose to give an opinion on "No Man is an Iland": "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind." If people died somewhere does it affect in other place in the world because of this loss.
This is my answer: Yes, it would affect the world.
Now this the part I need help. I need proof to back up my opinion. Can someone give me something that a loss would affect somewhere else in the world.
please help and thank you
English(Urgent) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:14pm
"No man is an island
on top 500 Poems
Print friendly version
E-mail this poem to e friend
Send this poem as eCard
Add this poem to MyPoemList
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as a manor of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. "
-- John Donne
Donne is saying that each of us is a small part of mankind and the universe. You're not going to find scientific proof for this poem. Poetry expresses feelings.
Don't you grieve when you hear about lives lost in rebellions and natural disasters? Don't you grieve when you see pictures of small children in Africa who've died of disease and starvation? Don't you grieve when a famous person dies? Doesn't each of these deaths bring you one tiny step closer to your own death?
English(Urgent) - Anonymous, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:28pm
I'm confused...I'm asking for an example of a loss and how it affects the world.
English(Urgent) - Writeacher, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:36pm
Have you ever read about what happened in New York City and two other places on September 11, 2001?
English(Urgent) - Anonymous, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:37pm
no, but can you tell me where to find it?
please and thank you
English(Urgent) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:40pm
English(Urgent) - Anonymous, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:48pm
how does this affect the world, other places???
English(Urgent) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:56pm
It affects people -- no matter where they live. The tragic deaths of 3,000 people takes away from humans. We are less than human if such a huge loss of life doesn't reach our souls.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English 12 (URGENT!!!) - Sorry to repost this. I am still a bit confused of the ...
- English 12 - I need help on paraphrasing "No man is an Island" No man is an ...
- English - Read this passage from Donne’s “Meditation 17.” Then, answer the ...
- English - I'm including the other sentences. Thank you very much. 1) Death would...
- English - Can you please give me your opinion on the poem Amulet by Ted Hughes. ...
- College Math - A certain man spent 10% of his life in childhood and 20% of his ...
- english help please!! - When Marilyn Cross is trapped, what kind of conflict ...
- english help please!! - A character has a personal fear or an emotional struggle...
- English - I urgently need you to check these sentences. Thank you. Rephrase the ...
- unknown riddle - "JOHN DECIDES HE DOESn'T WANT TO WORK, HE TURNS OFF HIS LIGHT ...