Posted by matt on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 12:53pm.
show that if a, b & c are in v3, then (a cross b) dot [(b cross c)×(c cross a)] = [a dot (b cross c)]^2
calculus - Steve, Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 10:27am
If you look for some list of identities for vector products, such as wolfram: cross product you will find the following:
A.(BxC) = det(ABC)
(AxB)x(CxD) = det(ABD)C - det(ABC)D
If we adapt this formula to our problem, we need to set
A = b
B = c
C = c
D = a
Now, we plug and chug:
bxc x cxa = det(bca)c - det(bcc)a
Now, a determinant is zero if two rows are the same. So, we can toss out he last term on the right, and we are left with just
bxc x cxa = det(bca)c
AxB.C = C.AxB so,
axb . det(bca)c = det(bca)c . axb
= det(bca) * det(cab)
When we swap columns, the detrminant changes sign. Swapping columns twice, we get
det(bca) * det(cab) = det(abc) * det(abc) = (a.bxc)^2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - Find two unit vectors that make an angle of 60° with v = ‹3, 4›. Give...
- Chemistry - When drawing the 'dot and cross' diagram to show the ionic bonding ...
- Math - There are four people that want to cross a bridge. Sam can cross in 1 ...
- Math: Cross Product - Prove that | a x b | = (sqrt) [(a (dot) b)(b (dot) b) - (a...
- math calculus - if i,j,k are the standard unit basic vectors, in 3 space, ...
- maths magic - There are A,B,C,D at one end of the bridge.they have to cross ...
- Calculus - Find (a cross b)dot product a? & Find the cross product(a × b) dot ...
- Chemistry - Hi Dr Bob, I understand the 2nd method but need to clarify the 1st ...
- Math - a) prove the identity: Ax(BXC)=B(A*C)-C(A*B) A,B,C vectors x- cross ...
- MATH - FOUR CYCLISTS A,B,C&D WANTS TO CROSS A BRIDGE BUT DUE TO BAD CONDITION OF...