Posted by Jaclyn on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 10:53am.
Please check the first and help with the second-thank you
Find all possible rational roots of f(x) = 2x^4 - 5x^3 + 8x^2 + 4x+7
1.I took the constant which is 7 and the leading coefficient which is 2 and factored them
7 factored would be 7,2
2 factored would be 2,1
used 7 as numerator 2 as denominator came up with 1/2,1/7/2, 7 Would that be correct?
2.I don't get this one find number of possible positive and negative real roots of f(x) = x^4-x^3+2x^2 + x-5
I think there are 3 sign changes so there are 3 positive but I get really confused on doing the negative real zeros would I rewrite for negative f(x) = -x^4 -(-x^3) -2x^2 -(x-5) so there would be 2negative real zeros
I don't get this one
- Pre-Calc/Trig - Reiny, Monday, September 12, 2011 at 12:40pm
No, the numbers you state would be potential rational roots.
You still have to check to see if they actually work
f(1/2) = 2(1/2)^4 - 5(1/2)^3 + 8(1/2)^2 + 4(1/2) + 7 = 10.5 ≠ 0
f(1) = 2 - 5 + 8 + 4 + 7 ≠ 0
none of them work. A quick look at "Wolfram" shows that there are no real roots at all.
- Pre-Calc/Trig - Steve, Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 12:57pm
For negative zeros, substitute -x for x, but do it carefully, using the exact same coefficients as originally:
(-x)^4 - (-x)^3 + 2(-x)^2 + (-x) - 5
x^4 + x^3 + 2x^2 - x - 5
There's only one change of sign there, so at most one negative root.
Answer this Question
- Pre-Calc-Please check - Is this correct? Using Rational Roots Theorem, list all...
- Pre-Calc-Please check - I have three questions: 1. What is the remainder of (x^3...
- Pre-Calc/Trig - Help me please. List all possible rational zeros for the ...
- Pre-Calculus/Trig Check please and help - Could someone please check the first ...
- Pre-Calc/Trig... - Helpp needed, this is sort of confusing me. Describe the ...
- Algebra - Can someone please explain how to do these problems. 1)write a ...
- math - List all possible rational zeros of... h(x)= 2x to the (4th power) - 5x (...
- ALGEBRA 2 - Use the Rational Root Theorem to list all possible rational roots ...
- algebra - using the rational root theorem to list all possible rational roots of...
- Algebra - Please check my answers. Thanks! Solve the polynomial equation. In ...