Posted by Ann on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 2:00am.
I tried solving this problem a few times and kept getting random answers. The answer in the book says that it is 25 1/4
I do not understand how you get that answer.
Thanks For Your Help
- Algebra 2 - MathMate, Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 8:59am
The expression does evaluate to 25 1/4.
You will need to isolate and evaluate each term carefully and add them up.
The most tricky one is the first,
(-2)^0 = 1
because any non-zero number raised to the power of zero is 1.
Also, note that any number a raised to a negative exponent (i.e. -m) is equivalent to the reciprocal of the number raised to the exponent m, i.e.
a^(-m) = 1/(a^m)
Make a table, calculate each term, write down the answer. Sum the terms after every one has been written down.
If you don't get the correct answer, redo each term and compare with what you've got, i.e. verify your previous calculations.
If you still do not get the correct answer, post your table for help.
- Algebra 2 - Ann, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 7:11am
I still do not understand how to solve it, I keep getting random answers every time
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I am solving for sytems of equations using the elimination method. ...
- Algebra - Solving quadriatic equaitons using factoring. X^2-6=30-3x^2 The answer...
- Algebra 2 - Exponential Notation Evaluate the following: x^-4 for x=2 I ...
- Algebra - Solve z/6+14=z/6+25-z/6 for z. z/6+14=z/6+25-z/6 ___-14____-14 ...
- Algebra - I am solving sytems of equations algrbraically. I have tried several ...
- Algebra - I have just one math problem that I need a little help with. Please ...
- Algebra - I have this math probelm z-(3z)/(2-z)=(6)/(z-2) in my book it says to ...
- Algebra (check my answers) - Please check these answers. Multiply -7(2a2 -4) = -...
- Algebra 1 - 126a(-1/9a)(1/7a cubed) and the answer to this in my book says -2a ...
- MTH 156 - 2^6 * 2^7 multiply and simplify and then write the answer in ...