Posted by Francesca on Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 7:05pm.
1.) Express each decimal number as an 8-bit binary number in the 2's complement form and then find the negative of the representation of that number in two’s compliment
Thanks for any help!
- Computing in Security (Conversion Help) - MathMate, Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 11:02pm
Two's complement is a notation that represents both positive and negative numbers. The most significant (left-most) is the sign bit, which is turned on when the number is negative.
Unlike the one's complement, there is only one representation of zero.
For an eight-bit number, the range goes from -128 to 127.
A positive number is represented by a usual binary number format, using the 7 low-order (right-most) bits, and represent from 0 to 127.
A negative number is simply the reversal of the bits and then add 1.
-10(decimal)=11110101 + 1
-18(decimal)=11101101 + 1
and so on.
To negate a negative number, subtract one and reverse the bits.
00010010 (binary -18)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- computer science - a) What is the largest positive number that can be ...
- computer science /use java language - write the program that inputs a string ...
- computer science - What is the binary representation of the following ...
- computer or math - pls help me to solve this question. thank you very much ...
- programming 2 - Write a program that inputs a word representing a binary number...
- math - The following numbers can be represented as 8-bit numbers in the binary ...
- Maths - The first odd number can be expressed as 1 = 1squared - 0squared. The ...
- math - it is required to find a rational number which is equal to the recurring ...
- computers - digital logic design ( i have a lot questios so please help me) ...
- Computer - devise a number system based on base 11. a)draw the number line b)...