Posted by Francesca on Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 7:05pm.
1.) Express each decimal number as an 8-bit binary number in the 2's complement form and then find the negative of the representation of that number in two’s compliment
Thanks for any help!
Computing in Security (Conversion Help) - MathMate, Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 11:02pm
Two's complement is a notation that represents both positive and negative numbers. The most significant (left-most) is the sign bit, which is turned on when the number is negative.
Unlike the one's complement, there is only one representation of zero.
For an eight-bit number, the range goes from -128 to 127.
A positive number is represented by a usual binary number format, using the 7 low-order (right-most) bits, and represent from 0 to 127.
A negative number is simply the reversal of the bits and then add 1.
-10(decimal)=11110101 + 1
-18(decimal)=11101101 + 1
and so on.
To negate a negative number, subtract one and reverse the bits.
00010010 (binary -18)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Computer Science - Convert the following binary numbers to decimal (6 points): ...
- computer science - a) What is the largest positive number that can be ...
- computer science /use java language - write the program that inputs a string ...
- computer science - What is the binary representation of the following ...
- programming ( qbasic) - i was given this program by my teacher. it converts ...
- computer or math - pls help me to solve this question. thank you very much ...
- programming 2 - Write a program that inputs a word representing a binary number...
- Math - Determine all pairs (m, n) of a two-digit natural number m and a single-...
- Algebra - Determine all pairs (m, n) of a two-digit natural number m and a ...
- math - The following numbers can be represented as 8-bit numbers in the binary ...