Posted by Grace on Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 1:09am.
An AM station broadcasts rock music at "950 on your radio dial" Units for AM frequencies are given in kilhertz(kHz). Find the wavelength of the station's radio waves in meters, nanometers, and angstroms.
Chemistry - ALISON, Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 1:40am
you would use 1 Hz =299792458wavelength meters
so using that you would convert kHz to Hz, then Hz to meters. for the radio wave in meters
then you would continue using the same conversion as the one above and then convert meters to nanometers using 1m= 1X10^-9 nm.
for the last one in angstroms. you use the conversion you left off of with meters and convert 1m=1X10^10 A.
Hope that helps:)
Chemistry - Grace, Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 2:17am
I don't understand that process, since the answer for the meters is supposed to be 316m
Chemistry - Dr Russ, Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 5:48am
First of all do a quick approximation from general knowledge as 1 MHz has a wavelength of 300 m. Thus we expect that 950 kHz (0.950 MHz) will have a wavelength just longer than this.
use v=fl, velocity = frequency x wavelength
velocity (speed of light) = 3 x 10^8 m s^-1
950 kHz = 950 x 10^3 s^-1
thus l=3 x 10^8 m s^-1/950 x 10^3 s^-1
so l=316 m
which is consistent with our approximation at the start.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry 113 - The AM band of radio waves are measured in kilohertz (kHz), ...
- chemistry please help - The FM band of radio waves are measured in megahertz (...
- physics - e AM and FM radio waves are transverse waves consisting of electric ...
- Physics - Radio waves are electromagnetic waves that travel at a speed of 3.00 ...
- Chemistry-Help - An AM radio station broadcasts at 1060 kHz. Calculate the ...
- Physics 2 - 1.) The microwave protion of the spectrum has wavelengths ranging ...
- Physics - What is the wavelength in meters of radio waves produced by a radio ...
- physics - A certain FM radio station broadcasts jazz music at a frequency of 90....
- physics - 1.)A radio station transmits waves of length 400m.if the speed of the ...
- Physics - An FM radio station broadcasts electromagnetic waves at a frequency of...