Posted by Henry2 on Monday, September 5, 2011 at 9:00am.
I tried to summarize briefly Scotland's history. Can you please have a look at it? Which form is correct: in 9th century/in the ninth century?
6th century (AD): 500-599 (is it correct?)
9th century (AD): 800-899
10th century: 900-999
1) The first inhabitants of Scotland were the Picts and the Scots. The former were of Celtic origin whereas the latter came from Ireland.
2) In 120 AD the Roman Emperor Hadrian had a wall built to keep the Scottish out. In the sixth century Christianity was introduced into Scotland by Irish missionaries.
3) In 9th century Scotland was united under the same King for the first time to fight off the Vikings. These were finally defeated in the 10th century.
10th they managed to repulse the Vikings.
4) In 1018 the Scottish King Malcolm II defeated the Northumbrians. His grandson became his successor as Duncan I. In 1040 Duncan was killed by his general, Macbeth. Macbeth ruled until 1057, when he was defeated by Duncanís son Malcolm III Canmore.
5) Macbeth spent many years in exile and eventually married an English princess. In the 13th century the English King Edward I invaded Scotland and seemed to have defeated the country.
6) 1314 the Scots rebelled and defeated the English Army. After this battle Scotland and England remained two separate countries for nearly 300 years.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, September 5, 2011 at 9:33am
"in the ninth century" = correct
(But then you'd say, "In 9th century Rome...")
6th century (AD): 501-600
9th century (AD): 801-900
10th century: 901-1000
Remember: The first century didn't start with year 0!! It started with year 1. So the 1st century included the years 1-100, and all the others fall into that pattern.
1. comma needed
2. commas needed
3. comma needed, no capital on "King" unless you're naming a specific king.
4. commas needed; one comma not needed
5. comma needed; I'd say "defeated the Scots" or "conquered the country."
6. missing word at the beginning; commas needed
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- world history - I need to put these history dates in Chronological order to fill...
- geography - What was the time of greatest population growth in the world? A. ...
- English - I wanted to know of the various alternatives are possible? In question...
- captitals italics abbreviations and numbers - Question 1 Which of the following ...
- history - 20th century - can i ahve some suggestions oif events in the 20th ...
- twentieth century question - Hello, I have to do a question on the 20th century ...
- English - Can you please check these other questions, too? Thank you very much. ...
- English - Could you please check the following questions? Which of the first two...
- English - Can you please check if the following statements on the English ...
- Twentieth century Aerican History - How did Americans spend their leisure time ...