posted by Henry2 on .
Thank you very much. I left out the following sentences. In particular, in sentences 3 and 4 I'd like to know if the tense choice is correct.
1) As a consequence, the Aesthetic writers believed that art did not have any didactic purpose; it need (?) only be beautiful. They developed the cult of beauty which they considered the basic factor in art. Life should copy art, they asserted.
2) Aestheticism pervades Oscar Wilde’s novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray”.
Wilde totally adopted the “aesthetic ideal” living in the double role of rebel and dandy.
3) In particular, the Wildean dandy can be defined as an aristocrat whose elegance symbolises the superiority of his spirit. He uses his wit to shock, and is an individualist who demands absolute freedom.
4) He pursues pleasure as the greatest goal in life and believes that pleasure derives from the indulgence in the beautiful. Beautiful clothes, beautiful talks, delicious food and handsome boys were Wilde’s main interests.
5) According to Wilde, “Art is useless because its aim is simply to create a mood. It is not meant to instruct”.
1. comma after "beauty" in second sentence; phrasing here: it needed only to be beautiful
2. comma after "novel"; novel's title in italics, not quotation marks; comma after "aesthetic ideal"; delete "in"
3. delete comma after "shock"
5. period BEFORE the ending quotation marks because this is a complete sentence.