posted by Henry2 on .
Could you please check these sentences on the Aesthetic movement I wrote.
1) The Aesthetic Movement originated in France in the last decades of the 19th century as a reaction against the materialism and the restrictive moral code of the middle class.
2) The French artists withdrew from the political and social life and led very unconventional lives, pursuing sensation(s) and excess and devoting themselves to the cult of art and beauty.
3) The origins of the English Aesthetic Movement can be traced back to the Romantic poet John Keats, who dedicated/devoted his life (or himself) wholly to art.
4) Walter Pater is regarded as the theorist of the Aesthetic Movement in England. He rejected religious faith and said that art was the only means to stop time.
5) Life should be lived as a work of art, filling it with all kinds of sensations. The task of the artist was to feel sensations and not to describe the world. Art should provide refined, sensuous pleasure rather than convey moral or sentimental messages.
2. delete "the" (6th word); "sensations"; add comma after "excess"
3. OK; various phrasings work fine.