posted by Henry2 on .
Could you please check these sentences for me? Thank you. In particular,the tense choice and the sentence connectors.
Could you suggest to me a site where I can find a list of expressions generally used when summarizing a story?
1)The tale starts with a description of the narrator. We get to know that he was born into a wealthy family, which allowed him to get a high level of education.
2) Though criticized for his lack of imagination, he writes that he is going to tell us a story, which seems to be the result of a lively imagination.
3)He has travelled to foreign countries for many years. Once he boards (can I use the simple present to refer to his tale?) a ship
BUT if I start with “he had travelled to …..”. Once he boarded a ship (it the tense choice correct?) bound to the Archipelago Islands.
4) One evening he observed a strange, isolated cloud to the North-West. After a while, he noticed it spread westward and eastward forming a narrow strip of vapour above the horizon.
5) His attraction was then attracted by the red of the room, the transparency of the sea water, the intolerable heat and the absolute calm when the wind stopped blowing.
This webpage tells how to write about literature:
A webpage that has "a list of expressions..." doesn't seem to exist. That's far too specialized.
1. The tale starts with a description of the narrator. Born into a wealthy family, he is highly educated.
3. He travels to foreign countries often. Once he boarded a ship, bound for the Archipelago Islands.
4. One evening he observes a strange, isolated cloud to the northwest. After a while, he notices that it has spread westward and eastward, forming a narrow strip of vapour above the horizon.
5. His notices the red of the room, the transparency of the sea water, the intolerable heat, and the absolute calm when the wind stops blowing.