Posted by Amanda on Friday, August 26, 2011 at 8:55am.
Can somebody check my answers
1. If a small piece of sodium is dropped into water, it begins to
react, forming hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide. In the
equation, 2Na (s) + 2H2O (l) → 2NaOH (aq) + H2 (g), the
sodium hydroxide that is formed is a
A. compound in solution.
C. gas. (MY ANSWER)
2. With the exception of the transition elements, Groups 3–12 in
the Periodic Table, and the noble gases, Group 18, atomic radii
_______ within periods, while atomic radii _______ within groups.
A. increase, decrease
B. decrease, increase
C. increase, remain roughly constant
D. decrease, remain roughly constant (MY ANSWER)
3. Which oxide of nitrogen is responsible for the formation of ozone?
C. NO (MY ANSWER)
4. Which one of the following statements is correct regarding the
naming of binary compounds?
A. The nonmetal is named first followed by the metal.
B. If the compound consists of two nonmetals, the nonmetal with the higher
electronegativity is named first. (MY ANSWER)
C. If the compound consists of two nonmetals, the nonmetal with the lower
electronegativity is named first.
D. The nonmetal is named first followed by the metal with the ending “ate.”
5. Using the partial Periodic Table above for reference, what do boron, silicon, and arsenic
have in common?
A. They all demonstrate the chemical properties of carbon.
B. They’re all strong conductors of electricity. (MY ANSWER)
C. They’re similar to transition elements.
D. They’re all metalloids.
6. Which one of the following elements
is a noble gas?
B. Oxygen (MY ANSWER)
7. The atomic number for aluminum is
B. 14.( MY ANSWER)
8. The group of elements that contains only alkaline earth metals is
B. 15. (MY ANSWER)
9. Regarding the halogens, which statement is most accurate?
A. We find two s and five p electrons in the outer energy level of all of these elements.
B. The electronegativity of the halogens increases with atomic number.(MY ANSWER)
C. All the halogen elements form a noble gas octet of valence electrons with the element
next to it in Group 16.
D. The oxidation state of all halogens is +1.
10. You would apply stock numbers only to compounds of metals and to compounds of
D. hydrogen. (MY ANSWER)
11. Regarding the carbon family, which statement is true?
A. All carbon compounds are considered to be organic compounds.
B. One common carbon compound is a waste product of photosynthesis. (MY ANSWER)
C. In nature, silicon is found in a free state and isn’t an abundant element on Earth.
D. The higher atomic numbers in this family are associated with two common metals.
12. Which of the following is clearly a polyatomic ion?
C. NaN3 (MY ANSWER)
13. We can most accurately say of aluminum that it
A. oxidizes rapidly to form a protective coating against further deterioration.
B. is a poor conductor of electricity.
C. doesn’t readily conduct heat.
D. is an alkaline earth metal. (MY ANSWER)
14. In the Periodic Table (omitting the transition elements), the trend with respect to numbers
of valence electrons is
A. periodic with respect to atomic number, but generally increasing from right to left.
B. lower on the left and higher on the right.(MY ANSWER)
C. periodic with respect to atomic number, but generally decreasing from left to right.
D. higher on the left and lower on the right.
15. If the gram molecular mass of carbon is 12 and the gram molecular mass of chlorine is 35,
the gram mass of one molar mass of carbon tetrachloride must be
C. 152. (MY ANSWER)
16. Among the alkali metals, _______ placed in water will combine with H2O to produce
hydrogen gas that burns with a violet flame.
B. sodium (MY ANSWER)
17. Metals and nonmetals form compounds called hydroxides, symbolized as XOH, where X
stands for some metal or nonmetal. In which of the following situations would we find ions
in solution such that the solution is acidic?
A. The bond between X and OH is broken.
B. The bond between XO and H is broken.(MY ANSWER)
C. Either H or OH takes on a positive charge.
D. The bonds of XOH remain unbroken.
18. Comparing Group 1 and Group 2 elements, which statement about the alkaline earth
metals is true?
A. The increased atomic number of the Group 2 elements tends to shrink their atomic
radii relative to Group 1.
B. The alkaline earth metals form acids in water. (MY ANSWER)
C. The higher ionization energy of the Group 2 elements makes them more reactive than
the Group 1 elements.
D. Both Group 1 and Group 2 are composed of transition elements.
19. Comparing an analysis reaction with a combination reaction, and assuming a total of three
kinds of molecules in either kind of reaction, you would expect to find
A. two products on the right side of the equation in a combination reaction.
B. a single product on the right side of the equation in an analysis reaction.
C. two products on the right side of the equation in a decomposition reaction.
D. a single product on the left side of the equation in a synthesis
reaction.( MY ANSWER)
20. A reaction takes place between sodium chloride and hydrochloric acid. The products of this
reaction are sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) and hydrochloric acid. What is the balanced equation
that represents this reaction?
A. NaCl + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + HCl
B. 2NaCl + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + HCl
C. 2NaCl + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + 2HCl
D. NaCl + H2SO4 → 2Na2SO4 + 2HCl ( MY ANSWER)
- Chemistry - bobpursley, Friday, August 26, 2011 at 9:47am
I stopped at 7. You have successfully missed all of them so far.
- To Amanda-- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, August 26, 2011 at 11:52am
Please. One problem at a time.
- Chemistry - Amanda, Friday, August 26, 2011 at 9:14pm
bobpursley just to let you know I already know that number 1,2,3,4,6,8,12,15,and 18 right. I took the test and it tells me what ones I got right and what one I got wrong. So maybe it is you who successfully missed them all.... Not to be mean but I do know some things...
- Chemistry - jlk, Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 3:51pm
r you doing pennfoster
Answer this Question
CHEMISTRY - This is regarding to the super long post. Dr.Bob, did you actually ...
need creative picture - -A picture symbolizing somebody who worries a lot.. I ...
AP Chemistry - What is ksp for lithium carbonate? I got an answer of 2.40 x 10^-...
language art CHECK - Will somebody please check this for me and see if i used ...
Chemistry - Small chain alcohols have a warning label indicating that they are ...
English - Now, let's check how well you can use the expressions you've learned. ...
Math HELP - I have my answers at the bottom but please do these questions so I ...
check math - Here are my answers. Can you check if I got the right answers? ...
Asap can someone pplz check these answers - Please check my answers I have 2 do ...
chemistry - Can somebody please check my answer for this one? Calculate the ...