Posted by Kylie on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 3:36pm.
What is 2 + 2? = 4
What is 2 * 2? = 4
So, the sum and the product of these two numbers is the same. Are there other numbers that have this same property? Yes
Determine all number pairs x and y such that the product of x and y and the sum of x and y are equal. Make sure to show your work and to explain and justify your solutions.
Thanks so much,
Math - Creative, Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 3:57pm
The answer is no. Remember that multiplication is different than addition. When you add duplicates it is the sum of itself in ones. When you multiply duplicates you are adding the number by the number of times by itself.
1+1= 1+1 or 2
2+2=4 equals 1+1,1+1
2x2=4 equals 2+2 or 4
3+3= 6 or 1+1+1, 1+1+1, 1+1+1
3x3= 3+3+3 or nine
4+4= 8 1+1+1+1, 1+1+1+1, 1+1+1+1, 1+1+1+1
etc. Do you see the pattern?
So each number up from one will be more when the number is multiplied by its self.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- multplication - When multiplying is there a rule stating that the numbers being ...
- Algebra - Need help plz. Don't really get this "reversing the digits" What is ...
- math-word problems with quadratics - I have 5 questions... 1) The sum of two ...
- math URGENT!!!! - i have a list of 5 different numbers. the sum of 2 of the ...
- maths - the sum of N positive integers is 19. what is the maximum possible ...
- Math - Two numbers have a product of 3 1/5 and a sum of 3 3/5. One of the ...
- math 5th grade - two numbers have a product of 3 1/5 and a sum of 3 3/5. One of ...
- Math - When factoring a trinomial that is in the format Ax^2 + Bx + C, the ...
- Calculus - Two positive numbers have the property that their product is 2 and ...
- math - Two 5-digit numbers have the same sum of digits: 2. The largest possible ...