Posted by Dee on Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:39pm.
Hi - I'm reposting this thread please read the bottom...thanks.
Ajax is 8 km due west of Oshawa. Uxbridge is 16 km NW of Oshawa. How far is it from Ajax to Uxbridge? Explain whether you have enough information to solve this problem.
my answer was 13.856 km but not confident how I found the angle oshawa to begin with. I used Cos Oshawa = a/h = 8/16, cos-1 0.5=60 degrees.
Please confirm if done correctly...many thanks.
math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 2:44pm
angle AOU = 45 degrees
ao = 8
ou = 16
law of cosines
au^2 = ao^2 + ou^2 - 2*ao*ou*cos 45
au^2 = 64 + 256 - 2*8*16 * .707
au^2 = 139
au = 11.8
math - Dee, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 3:14pm
Hi - How did you get 45 degrees? Think that's the part I'm lost with.
math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 4:16pm
The angle between west and northwest is 45 degrees, halfway from west to north
math - Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 4:51pm
Yes but why is it 45 degrees? I'm dividing 8 into 16 = .5 then cos-1 .5 = 60. Nothing I do is giving me 45 degrees. Hope you get notified when a thread is updated, I'm inclined to repost this incase.
Thanks again for your great answering.
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:41pm
draw a sketch and you will see that the angle between ao and ou or angle AOU is that between west and northwest or 45 degrees
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:42pm
Please look up "law of cosines" with Google.
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:46pm
Like try this calculator. You have SAS (side, angle, side)
- math - Dee, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 6:13pm
how will I see that the angle is 45 degrees? Don't we have to calculate that? This is what I'm asking you about. How is <O calculated so it comes up to 45 degrees?
I have 2 sides and have to find the angle as it's not given before I can proceed to find the third side. I'm asking how you got 45 so I can understand where I went wrong. Thanks for recommending google...that was very helpful in providing clarity to this particular question.
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 6:24pm
one side goes west
the second side goes north west, 45 degrees clockwise from the first side.
There is no calculation of 45 degrees. It is given by saying west and northwest
- math - Dee, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 10:00pm
Ahhh...I see! Thank you for helping, I would have never have worked this out correctly.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Ajax is 8 km due west of Oshawa. Uxbridge is 16 km NW of Oshawa. How far ...
- Math - Draw a diagram to solve this problem: Ajax is 8 km due west of Oshawa. ...
- math(ASAP HELP) - 7. two paths diverge at a 48 degree angle. two mountain bike ...
- Math - A salesman drives from Ajax to Barrington, a distance of 150 mi, at a ...
- Math (Word Problems) - I need to know how to set up this problem: A salesman ...
- Trigonometry - Three ships are situated as follows: A is 225 miles west of C ...
- Pre-Calculus - A sailboat in a lake travels 4 km due north and then 4 km due ...
- Algebra II - Bill drove from Ajax to Bixby at an average speed of 50 mph. On the...
- Math - A person travels 8 mi, due north, 3 mi, due west and 7 mi due south how ...
- Trigonometry - A person on a ship sailing due south at the rate of 15 miles an ...