Posted by Dee on Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 2:24pm.
Ajax is 8 km due west of Oshawa. Uxbridge is 16 km NW of Oshawa. How far is it from Ajax to Uxbridge? Explain whether you have enough information to solve this problem.
my answer was 13.856 km but not confident how I found the angle oshawa to begin with. I used Cos Oshawa = a/h = 8/16, cos-1 0.5=60 degrees.
Please confirm if done correctly...many thanks.
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 2:44pm
angle AOU = 45 degrees
ao = 8
ou = 16
law of cosines
au^2 = ao^2 + ou^2 - 2*ao*ou*cos 45
au^2 = 64 + 256 - 2*8*16 * .707
au^2 = 139
au = 11.8
- math - Dee, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 3:14pm
Hi - How did you get 45 degrees? Think that's the part I'm lost with.
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 4:16pm
The angle between west and northwest is 45 degrees, halfway from west to north
- math - Alan, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 4:51pm
Yes but why is it 45 degrees? I'm dividing 8 into 16 = .5 then cos-1 .5 = 60. Nothing I do is giving me 45 degrees. Hope you get notified when a thread is updated, I'm inclined to repost this incase.
Thanks again for your great answering.
- math - Damon, Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:40pm
Label and sketch the triangle as I did. You will see that the angle between ao and ou is 45 degrees
Answer this Question
- Math - Draw a diagram to solve this problem: Ajax is 8 km due west of Oshawa. ...
- math(ASAP HELP) - 7. two paths diverge at a 48 degree angle. two mountain bike ...
- math - Hi - I'm reposting this thread please read the bottom...thanks. Ajax is 8...
- Math (Word Problems) - I need to know how to set up this problem: A salesman ...
- Math - A salesman drives from Ajax to Barrington, a distance of 150 mi, at a ...
- Cosine Law - For the next three questions, choose which is the most appropriate ...
- Cosine Law NEED HELP QUCIK - For the next three questions, choose which is the ...
- Algebra II - Find the solution if possible. If there is not enough information ...
- 5th grade math (word problems) - I'm not sure how to solve the following problem...
- Trigonometry - A person on a ship sailing due south at the rate of 15 miles an ...