Posted by Chris on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 4:21pm.
A ferris wheel with a diameter of 100 feet rotates at a constant rate of 4 revolutions per minute. Let the center of the ferris wheel be at the origin.
1. Each of the ferris wheel's cars travels around a cirlce.
a) Write an equation of the circle where x and y are measured in feet.
b)sketch a graph of an equation you wrote in part (a)
c) Use the vertical line test to determine whether y is a function of x.
d) What does your answer to part (C) mean in the context of the problem?
- trig - Henry, Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:50pm
1a. (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2.
C(h,k) = C(0,0).
Eq: x^2 + Y^2 = (50)^2 = 2500.
b. Use these points for graphing:
Scale for radius(r) = 0.1 * 50 = 5Ft.
X = r*cosA = 5*cos(0) = 5.
Y = 5*sin(0) = 0.
X = 5*cos45 = 3.54.
Y = 5*sin45 = 3.54.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math-trig - A Ferris wheel with a diameter of 100 feet rotates at a constant ...
- math - A Ferris wheel with a diameter of 100 feet rotates at a constant rate of...
- college trig word problem - A Ferris wheel has a radius of 25 feet.The wheel is ...
- Trig application - I'm having trouble with this trig application. The scenario ...
- pre-cal - A small ferris wheel: A student is riding a 20-m-diameter ferris wheel...
- pre cal - A small ferris wheel, a student is riding a 20-m-diameter ferris wheel...
- pre-cal - A small ferris wheel, a student is riding a 20-m-diameter ferris wheel...
- trig question - A Ferris wheel has a deameter of 50m. The platform at the bottom...
- College Algebra - A ferris wheel has a diameter of 320 feet and the bottom of ...
- math - a ferris wheel has the diameter of 240 feet and the bottom of the ferris ...