Posted by Jen on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 8:19am.
Hi. So we had a long test with this question.. I was wondering how to solve it? Coz our teacher didn't discuss the answers.. and most probably we'll have the same type of question during midterms..
Find the Solution Set
9/|2-5x| - 4/y^2-3y = 5
2/|2-5x| + 2/ 3(y^2-3y) = 1/3
- Math - bobpursley, Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 8:55am
I think I would eliminate variables.
multiply the first equation by 2/3
multiply the second equation by 4
add the equations.
solve for abs(2-5x), you will have two solutions.
Then, put each of those solutions into the first equation, and solve for y.
Get a large blank pad on which to do this problem, and check it twice. You can finally check each solution by substitution into the second equation.
- Math - Reiny, Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 9:52am
That's quite nasty for a test.
I would try the following, along the lines suggested by bobpursley
multiply the first by 2
18/|2-5x| - 8/(y^2-3y) = 10
multiply the second by 9
18/|2-5x| + 6/(y^2-3y) = 3
-14/(y^2-3y) = 7
7y^2 - 21y + 14 = 0
y^2 - 3y + 2 = 0
(y-2)(y-1) = 0
y = 2 or y = 1
I will do the y=2
If y = 2 , then
9/|2-5x| - 4/-2 = 5
9/|2-5x| = 3
3/|2-5x| = 1
|2-5x| = 3
-5x = 1
x = -1/5
-2 + 5x = 3
5x = 5
x = 1
so two pairs from that part:
(1,2) and (-1/5, 2)
you do the other two solutions, using y = 1
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry help - our teacher said on our final chemistry lab test there will be ...
- geography - Ms. Sue, I am not home schooled. Our teacher gives us a geography ...
- math - A teacher prepares a test. She gives 5 objective type questions out of ...
- Math Algebra - Question:: You are about to take a test that contains questions ...
- prealgbra - solve by simulating the problem.you have a 5 -question multiple -...
- calculus - I have posted this question earlier and had the answer given to me ...
- Algebra - Question 1 Solve using the multiplication principle then graph. -15>...
- math - The teacher of a mathematics class has written up the final exam, but ...
- AVID - this is about cornell note taking...i'm done taking notes but i'm having ...
- Chemistry - I did a melting point test for menthol and the question is asking ...