Posted by Catie on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 12:11am.
A hurricane wind blows across a 6.00 m times 15.0 m flat roof at a speed of 190 km/hr.
What is the pressure difference? Use 1.28 kg/m^3 for the density of air.
How much force is exerted on the roof?
If the roof cannot withstand this much force, will it "blow in" or "blow out"?
- Math - MathMate, Monday, August 15, 2011 at 9:58am
Use Bernoulli's equation:
P1+ρgh1+(1/2)ρv1² = P2+ρgh2+(1/2)ρv2²
v1=exterior wind velocity
v2=interior wind velocity = 0
h1-h2 is the negligible height differences
ρ=density of air (1.293 kg-m^-3)
which by neglecting ρg(h2-h1), and substituting v1=0 we get
Suction force (blows out):
The above calculation of pressure assumes:
1. the pressure factor is -1 (which is not far for a flat roof).
(Broken Link Removed)
2. the STP value of ρ=1.293kg/m³ instead of 1.28 as stipulated. You will need to make adjustments to get the correct answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A hurricane wind blows across a 6.00 m times 15.0 m flat roof at a speed...
- PHYSICS - HELP - A wind with speed 45 m/s blows across a roof 20 m long and 12 m...
- physics - A 45 m/s (100 mph) wind blows across the top of a flat-roofed house. ...
- Advanced Physics - If wind blows at a speed of 30 m/s over the roof of your ...
- physics - (a)If the wind blows at 30m/s over the roof of your house, what is the...
- physics - during a thunderstorm,wind with a speed of 47.7 m/s blows across a ...
- physic - If wind blows at 34m/s over a house, what is the net force on the roof...
- Physics - Matter - Wind blows around a skyscraper with a speed of 18 m/s outside...
- Algebra - In a hurricane, the wind pressure varies directly as the square of the...
- Physics - An airplane wing is designed so that the speed of the air across the ...