Posted by Adam on Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 8:51pm.
River Current A boat can travel 36 miles upstream in the same time that it can travel 54 miles downstream. If the speed of the current is 3 miles per hour, find the speed of the boat without a current.
math - Reiny, Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 10:36pm
let speed of boat in still water be x mph
speed = x-5
time = 36/(x-5)
speed = x+5
time = 54/(x+5)
the two times are equal, so
36/(x-5) = 54(x+5)
54x - 270 = 36x + 180
18x = 450
x = 25
The speed of the boat without a current is 25 mph
math - kayla garner, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 12:54pm
A canoe can travel 18 mph in still water and 22 miles downstream in the same amount of time that it takes to travel 14 mph upstream. Find the speed of the current in the water.
math - Megan, Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 1:17am
a person can copy the final exam in 28 minutes using a new copy machine. using an old copy machine, it takes 70 minutes. if both machines are used, how long will it take to complete the job
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - A boat can travel 114 miles upstream in the same time that it can ...
- math - The speed of a river current is 4 mph. IF a boat travels 20 miles ...
- Algebra - A boat can travel upstream 14 miles in same it can travel downstream 8...
- MATH - A boat on a river travels 16 miles downstream in only 2 hours. It takes ...
- Intermediate Algebra Word Problem - A river's current is 4mph. A boat travels 48...
- Intermediate Algebra - in still water, a paddle boat averages 10 miles per hour...
- algebra - A boat can travel 38 mph in still water. If the boat can travel 100 ...
- Algebra - The current of a river moves at 3 miles per hour. It takes a boat 3 ...
- algebra - 36 Upstream, downstream. Junior’s boat will go 15 miles per hour in ...
- Math - Brian's boat has a top speed of 9 miles per hour in still water. While ...