Posted by amanda on Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 5:01pm.
the diagonal of a rectangular room is 13ft long. one wall measures 7ft longer than the adjacent wall. what are the dimensions of the room
- algebra - I think, Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 7:10pm
So i think it would be 10X 3?
- algebra - Henry, Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 8:52pm
The diagonal forms 2 rt triangles: it is the hyp of the triangles.
Width = X ft.
Length = (x+7) ft.
x^2 + (x+7)^2 = (13)^2,
x^2 + x^2 + 14x + 49 = 169,
2x^2 + 14x - 120 = 0,
Divide both sides by 2:
x^2 + 7x - 60 = 0,
(x-5)(x+12) = 0,
x-5 = 0,
x = 5.
x+12 = 0,
x = -12.
Select + value of X:
X = 5 ft = Width.
X + 7 = 12 ft = Length.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- pornography - The diagonal of a rectangular room is 52 ft long. one wall ...
- geometry - the diagonal of a rectangular room is 52ft long. one wall measures ...
- Math - a diagonal brace is to be placed in the wall of room, the height (y) of ...
- maths - Wall paper ,312cm long and 25cm wide is required to cover the wall of a ...
- maths --plse help me.. - Wall paper ,312cm long and 25cm wide is required to ...
- math - a student is painting one wall of a room. a square window is located in ...
- Math - for his new room Daren will need 154 feet sq of wall to wall to cover of ...
- Algebra - Lisa is cutting carpet for a rectangular room. The area of the room ...
- geometry - Mr. Rose wants to install wall-to-wall carpeting in his living room. ...
- Algebra - The length of a rectangular rug is twice its width. The rug is ...