Posted by Pearl on Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:25am.
calculate Ph occuring when 100ml of 0.10m acid is added to 500ml of 0.08m acetate buffer,pka 4.75,ph 4.5
- Biochemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 3:01pm
I caution you that m means molality. M means molarity. I assume you meant M.
Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
a = acid; b = base.
pH = pKa + log(b/a)
4.5 = 4.75 + log b/a
solve for b/a and I get approximately 0.6 (you should do it more accurately).
You have two unknowns and you need a second equation. That one is
a + b = 0.08
Solve the two equations simultaneously. I get a = about 0.05M and b = about 0.03M.
Now you have 500 mL of the buffer so you have how many millimoles of a and b?
500 x 0.05 = about 25 mmoles acid.
500 x 0.03 = about 15 mmoles base.
...........Ac^- + H^+ ==> HAc
add............10(100 x 0.1 = 10 mmol)
Again, these are approximate; you need to go through the calculations more accurately.
Then plug these equilibrium concns into the HH equation and solve for pH.
I arrived at 3.84.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Starting with 1.0M acetic acid and 0.50M NaOH, how would you prepare...
- organic chem - . Use the Henderson-Hasselbach equation: pH = pKa + log [A-]/[AH...
- chemistry - how much 10M HNO3 must be added to 1L of a buffer that is .010M ...
- school - What is the pH of 0.1 M formic acid solution? Ka=1.7„e10-4? What is the...
- org. chem - How to start these problems out: Please help thank you Use the ...
- Chemistry - a solution is made by combining 10.0 ml of 17.5 M acetic acid with 5...
- chemistry - What is the pH of a solution when 1ml of 0.10M NaOH is added to ...
- Biochemistry - Describe the full preparation of 1.0L 0.2mol/L pH 4.4 acetate ...
- Chemistry - Calculate pH of an acetate buffer containing 27.5 mM acetic acid (...
- chemistry - 1. Calculate pH of an acetate buffer containing 27.5 mM acetic acid...