Posted by Katie on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 1:39pm.
The length of a rectangle is 6 inches less than 3 times its width. Find the dimensions of the rectangle if its area is 45 square inches.
Math - Henry, Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 5:03pm
W = X in.
L = (3x - 6) in.
A = L*W = (3x-6)X = 45,
3x^2 - 6x = 45
3x(x-2) = 45,
x(x-2) = 15,
x^2 - 2x - 15 = 0
(x-5)(x+3) = 0,
x-5 = 0,
x = 5 in.
x+3 = 0,
x = -3.
Solution Set: x = 5, and x = -3.
Select + value of X:
x = 5
W = x = 5 in.
L = 3x-6 = 3*5 - 6 = 9 in.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra Homework, HELP! - 1) A rectangle has an area of 297 square inches and a...
- Nassau - The length of the smaller rectangle at the right is 1 inch less than ...
- math - A rectangle is 4 inches wide by 7 inches long. When the length and width ...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- Math - The length of a rectangle is 11 cm less than 3 times its width. If the ...
- Algebra - The length of a rectangle is (x+2) inches. The width of the rectangle ...
- algebra - The length of a rectangle is 3 more than twice the width. The area of ...
- math - The perimeter of a rectangle is 62 inches. If the length of rectangle is ...
- Math - The length of a rectangle is 5 inches less than 3 times the width. The ...
- Math - the length of a rectangle is (x-3) inches long, and the width 3 2/5 ...