Posted by Kalia on Monday, July 25, 2011 at 3:09am.
From the top of a 50m high bridge, two boats are seen at anchor. One boat is S 50degrees W and has an angle of depression of 38 degrees. The other boat is S 60degrees E and has a 35 degree angle of depression. How far apart are the boats?
Math - Henry, Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:25pm
We draw 2 rt triangles with a common ver side:
1. Draw a rectangle with the long sides hor.
2. Draw a diagonal from the upper rt
corner to the lower lt corner. This is
the hyp of the larger triangle.The angle bet. the hyp and hor is 35 deg.
3. Draw a 2nd hyp from the upper rt corner to a 2nd point on the hor side.
This is the hyp of the smaller triangle. The dist. bet. the 2 hyp(d1)
is the dist. bet. the 2 boats. The dist
bet. the 2nd hyp and the ver side is d2. The angle bet. the 2nd hyp and hor
is 38 deg.
d1 + d2 = d = total dist. from the
tan38 = 50/d2,
d2 = 50/tan38 = 64m.
tan35 = 50/(d1+d2),
d1+d2 = 50/tan35 = 71.4m.
d1 + d2 = 71.4,
d1 = 71.4 - d2 = 71.4 - 64 = 7.4m = dist. bet. boats.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Precalculus - 1. A man stands 12 feet from a statue. The angle of elevation from...
- math - A person in a lighthouse notices two boats out on the ocean. The angle of...
- Math (last question I swear!) - Leroy is 6.5 ft tall and standing on a bridge. ...
- Math - Two boats leave whitby harbour at the same time one boat heads 18 km to ...
- Math - from the top of a cliff 250 ft. high the angle of depression of a boat is...
- geometry - from the top of a vertical 186 foot cliff the angle of depression of ...
- Physics - The Angle of depression of Boat A from the top of a cliff which is 32 ...
- math - Two fishing boats depart a harbor at the same time, one traveling east, ...
- trig - Robert is standing on a cliff and looks down at an angle of depression ...
- Math - Two boats are approaching the same dock. Boat A measures 37° from boat B ...