Posted by Kalia on Saturday, July 23, 2011 at 3:59am.
The sides AB and AC of triangle ABC are of lengths 4 and 7 respectively. M is the midpoint of BC. AM is of length 3.5, Find the length of BC.
Math - Reiny, Saturday, July 23, 2011 at 7:12am
Complete the parallelogram ABPC , where BP=7 and PC=4
In a ||gram , diagonals bisect each other, so M is the midpoint of both diagonals and AP = 2(3.5) = 7
(looks like we have isosceles triangles, but that doesn't matter)
let angle PAC =Ø
let MC = a , thus BC = 2a for later
In triangle APC, by cosine law
4^2 = 7^2 + 7^2 - 2(7)(7)cosØ
cosØ = 82/98 = 41/49
in triangle AMC
a^2 = 3.5^2 + 7^2 - 2(3.5)(7)cosØ
= 61.25 - 49(41/49) = 20.25
a=√20.25 = 4.5
So BC = 2a = 2(4.5) = 9
better check my arithmetic, I have made some silly errors lately.
Math - Kalia, Saturday, July 23, 2011 at 9:22am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trigonometry - In the triangle ABC, the sides AB and BC have lengths 7cm and 8cm...
- Math - The sum of the lengths of the sides of triangle ABC is 38in. The length ...
- Agent HELP! Trigonometry - An isosceles triangle ABC has two sides 17cm in ...
- geometry - The sum of the lengths of the sides of triangle ABC is 25 in. The ...
- geometry - In triangle ABC, • AB is x cm long • BC is twice the length of AB • ...
- math - Triangle ABD in the diagram has a right angle A and sides AD = 4.9cm and ...
- math - Let P and Q be the points on the sides AB and BC of a triangle ABC ...
- geometry - triangle abc is similar to def, the lengths of the sides of triangle ...
- Geometry - The sides AB and AC of triangle ABC have lengths of 4 inches and 7 ...
- Engineering - Triangle ABD in the diagram has a right angle A and sides AD = 4....