Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 4:00pm.
The 92 million Americans of age 50 and over control 50% of all discretionary income (AARP Bulletin, March 2008). AARP estimated that the average annual expenditure on restaurants and carry out food was $1873 for individuals in this age group. Suppose this estimate is based on a sample of 80 persons and that the sample standard deviation is $550.
a. At 95% confidence, what is the margin of error?
b. What is the 95% confidence interval for the population mean amount spent on restaurants and carryout food?
c. What is your estimate of the total amount spent by Americans of age 50 and over on restaurants and carryout food?
d. If the amount spent on restaurants and carryout food is skewed to the right, would you expect the median amount spent to be greater or less than $1873?
statistics - BUSSTAT, Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 4:01pm
Please help and explain the best you can. I am so lost.
Thank you in advance
statistics - MathGuru, Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 7:16pm
I'll help you with the first two:
The margin of error = 1.96(sd/√n)
sd = 550
n = 80
1.96 represents 95% using a z-table
CI95 = mean + or - margin of error
mean = 1873
Substitute the values into the formula and calculate.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - The 92 million Americans of age 50 and over control 50% of all ...
- stats - AARP reported on a study conducted to learn howlong it takes individuals...
- statistics - Is this a descriptive study or an inferential study. I say ...
- math - I was given a table that showed a simple random sample of adults' age and...
- Basic Statistics - Historically, the proportion of adults over the age of 24 who...
- stadistics - If 200 of the adults surveyed were in the age category of 24 and ...
- statistic****help***** - Show all your work. Indicate clearly the methods you ...
- STATISTIC***HELP - Show all your work. Indicate clearly the methods you use ...
- Math (statistics) - Suppose an employee starts working after completing her MBA ...
- statistics - Sweden is reported to have among the highest percentage of citizens...