Posted by l on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 3:25pm.
What is the equilibrium constant "Kp" at 200 C for the reaction below:
P4(s) + 6 Cl2(g) --><-- 4 PCL3(l)
Given the following at 200 C
P4(s)+ 10 Cl2(g) --><-- 4 PCl5(s) Kc=8.12
PCl3(l)+ Cl2(g) --><-- PCl5(s) Kc=0.771
not sure what to do.
I know Kp=Kc(RT)^(delta n)
but the fact that they gave me two Kc values is confusing. Am I supposed to use those to somehow find the concentrations of the gaseous compounds?
Also, is "delta n" just the "final n" - "initial n" for the first reaction given (i.e. -3 or -6 depending on whether or not non-gasses count for "delta n" or not)?
Thank you in advance
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 3:59pm
You will notice that the two Kc values given are for different reactions. What you must do is to multiply equation 2 by 4, reverse it, and add it to equation 1. The result is the equation they want for Kp; i.e., P4(s) + 6Cl2 ==> PCl3(l)
So if you do that, which I did and it works out right, Kc for the final reaction is Kc1 x (1/(Kc2)^4 and for all of that I obtained 22.979 (which is too many s.f., I know, but you can round at the end). That part is usual and there is no trick to it. Standard procedure. The next part is the tricky part.
Kp = Kc(RT)^dn.
Kp = 22.979(R*T)dn.
R = the usual 0.08206
T = 473
Now let's look at the equation.
P4(s) + 6Cl2(g) ==> 4PCl3(l)
This is a heterogeneous reaction. The P4 is a solid and doesn't enter into Kp. PCl3 is a liquid and doesn't enter into Kp. The only gas in the equation is 6Cl2. So n is 0(on the right) - 6(on the left) for dn of -6
Kp = 22.979(0.08206x473)^-6 = ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- equilibrium constant (Kp) - What is the equilibrium constant "Kp" at 200 C for ...
- Chemistry - Answer Check - The two common chlorides of Phosphorus, PCl3 and PCl5...
- Chemistry - When a sample of PCl5(g) (0.02087 mol/L) is placed in 83.00 L ...
- CHEMISTRY - Equilibrium Equation with Partial Pressures PCl3(g) +Cl2(g) <->...
- Chemistry - The initial concentration for the compounds involved in the ...
- Chmistry - pcl3(g) cl2(g) ¨ <--- pcl5(g) Energy Some PCl3 and Cl2 are mixed ...
- Chemistry - At 25C, an equilibrium mixture of gases con- tains 0.00680 mol/L ...
- chemistry - Given the equilibrium system PCl5(g) <---> PCl3(g) + Cl2(g) K...
- chemistry - Given the equilibrium system PCL5(g) <----->PCl3(g) + Cl2(g) K...
- chemistry plse help - Use the standard reaction enthalpies given below to ...