Posted by EVJ on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 11:08pm.
Find an equation for the hyperbola described.
Foci at (-4,0) and (4,0); asymptote the line y= -x.
Please explain the steps of this problem. My book does not get an example of this type of problem and I'm not having any luck working this problem.
analytic geometry - drwls, Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 12:22am
First of all, this is not a trigonometry question. No matter what your course title may be.
Hyperbolas have two asymptotes. The other one, in this case, would be y = x. Did they forget to tell you that or did you just forget to include it?
The general equation for a hyperbola aligned with the x axis is
x^2/a^2 -y^2/b^2 = 1
In your case, a = 4 and b/a is the asymptote slope, which is 1. Therefore
x^2/16 - y^2/16 = 1
Trig - Reiny, Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 7:29am
I will have to disagree.
I think drwls read it as the vertex is (4,0)
but the focus is (4,0)
so c = 4
a^2 + b^2 = c^2, but for an asymptote of y = x , a = b
2a^2 = 16
a^2 = 8
x^2/8 + y^2/8 = 1
analytic geometry - drwls, Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at 8:51am
Yes, I did confuse the vertex with the focus. Thanks to Reiny for catching that.
There appears to be a sign error in Reiny's final equation, however. As written, it is the equation of a circle of radius sqrt8. Try instead
x^2/8 - y^2/8 = 1
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra II-Please check - I'm sorry the computer jammed on an earlier post and I...
- Algebra II-Please check fpr explanation - I have a question concerning this ...
- algebra - Please help, I am really having trouble understanding this problem. ...
- Math/ Algebra - Find an equation for the hyperbola described: 1) Vertices at (0...
- College Math - I have been struggling with this problem I cannot get the right ...
- Algebra 2 Mannn - Can someone please explain to me how to get the 16 in this ...
- math help - Thank you for helping me with the last problem Reiny and Bosnian. ...
- algebra - The area of the wall you are going to paint is 50 feet2. If the width ...
- Adv. Algebra- Conics - Find the equation of a hyperbola with foci of (0,8), and...
- analytic geometry - Find the equation of the hyperbola. Transverse axis parallel...