Posted by Andrew on Monday, July 18, 2011 at 1:42pm.
an open box is made by cutting out squares from the corners of a rectangular piece of cardboard and then turning up the sides. If the piece of cardboard is 12 cm by 24 cm, what are the dimensions of the box that has the largest volume made in this way?
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 18, 2011 at 2:17pm
Let each of the cut-outs be x
then the base of the box is 24 - 2x
the width of the box is 12-2x
and its height is x
Volume = V = x(24-2x)(12-2x)
expand, differentiate and set equal to zero
you will be solving a quadratic.
- Calculus - Andrew, Monday, July 18, 2011 at 2:48pm
Would that make the dimensions x=6 and 12? or did I do that wrong?
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 18, 2011 at 3:04pm
How did you possible get these answers ?
They make no sense.
If x = 6, then you would be cutting away 12 cm from the base of width 12, so nothing is left.
x = 12 would be physically impossible, you would be cutting away 24 cm from the 12 cm width !
Did you even differentiate ?
Show me what you did.
- Calculus - Andrew, Monday, July 18, 2011 at 3:09pm
i got V= 4x^3-72x^2+288x
Then I foiled that and my answers were x=6 and x=12. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing, I have a test in my class on wednesday and I need to be able to make sense of this in my homework due tomorrow
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 18, 2011 at 3:26pm
Your equation 12x^2-144x+288=0 is correct
from there, divide each term by 12
x^2 - 12 + 24 = 0
This does not factor (FOIL is used to expand, not in factoring)
x = (12 ± √(144 - 4(1)(24))/2
= (12 ± √48)/2
= (12 ± 4√3)/2 = 6 ± 2√3
= aprr. 2.536 or 9.464
but clearly x < 6 or else the width would become negative, so
x = 2.536
length = 24-2(2.536) = 19.928
width = 12 - 2(2.536) = 6.928
height = 2.536
- Calculus - Onisha, Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 7:40pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of cardboard...
- Engineering - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of ...
- Algebra - A rectangular box is to be made from a piece of cardboard 6 cm wide ...
- Math - A box with an open top is to be made by cutting 5-inch squares from the ...
- calculus - Help!!! A rectangle piece of cardboard twice as long as wide is to be...
- calculus - 7. A cardboard box manufacturer wishes to make open boxes from ...
- calculus - An open box is to be made out of a 10-inch by 14-inch piece of ...
- calculus - An Open Box Of Maximum Volume Is To Be Made From A Square Piece Of ...
- Math - An open box is to be made from a 11 inch by 11 inch piece of cardboad. ...
- math - a piece of cardboard is twice as it is wide. It is to be made into a box ...