Posted by Adams on Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 3:24pm.
A farmer has 100 yards of fencing with which to enclose two adjacent rectangular pens - both bordering a river. The farmer does not need to fence the side with the river. What should the dimensions of the two pens Together (rectangle shape) be in order to yield the largest possible AREA. Thanks T. Adams
Algebra - Math - Ms. Sue, Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 3:42pm
The total dimensions should be 25 by 25.
Algebra - Math - Algebra - Math, Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 4:56pm
Hi Ms. Sue,
Can you tell me how you came up with those dimensions, so I can understand the problem. Thank you T. Adams
Algebra - Math - Ms. Sue, Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 4:59pm
A square gives the largest area.
You need 4 lengths of fence -- 1 parallel to the river and 3 perpendicular to the river. If each fence were 25 yards long -- then the perimeter of the two pens together is 100 yards.
Algebra - Math - T. Adams, Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 6:45pm
o.k. but the question asked what should the dimensions of the ten pens together be in order to yield the largest possible area - wouldn't that be 1250 feet? I guess I am still confused. Thank you. T. Adams
Algebra - Math - Ms. Sue, Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 7:07pm
25 * 25 = 625 sq. yards
Each pen is 12.5 * 25.
Algebra - Math - Jewel, Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 3:39pm
Translante the word into a math expression Sheila buys some boxes of pens,with 20 pens in each box
Algebra - Math - Greg McBride, Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 10:31pm
A farmer has 380 meters of fencing and want to enclose a rectangular area of 9000 square meters what dimensions should he use
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College Algebra - A farmer has 100 yeards of fencing with which to enclose two ...
- Math - A farmer with 8000 meters of fencing wants to enclose a rectangular plot ...
- word problem - a farmer has 800 yards of fencing to enclose a rectangular ...
- Algebra - Farmer Ed has 9,000 meters of fencing, and wants to enclose a ...
- Algebra - Word Problems: 1. A farmer has 2400 feet of fencing and wants to fence...
- algebra - Farmer Ed has 9 comma 0009,000 meters of fencing, and wants to ...
- math - a farmer has 200 yards of fencing to enclose three sides of a rectangular...
- Applied Math- Gr.11 - A farmer wants to enclose three sides of a rectangular ...
- College Math - farmer wishes to fence a rectangular area along the river bank. ...
- algebra - A farmer decides to enclose a rectangular garden, using the side of a ...