Posted by Diana on Friday, July 15, 2011 at 4:21pm.
How would you find the inverse of these two functions: f(x)=4/(x-4)^2 and
could you please show me step by step i have been trying to figure it out for hours.
- precalc - Reiny, Friday, July 15, 2011 at 5:32pm
y = 4/(x-4)^2
x = 4/(y-4)^2
solving this for y .....
(y-4)^2 = 4/x
y - 4 = ± 2/√x
y = 4 ± 2/√x
x = y^2 - 8y + 16
y^2 - 8y + 16 - x = 0
use the quadratic equation
where a=1, b=-8 and c = 16-x to solve for y
- precalc - Diana, Friday, July 15, 2011 at 5:50pm
thanks i got the first one now!
for the second one I used the quadratic eqn and got 4 but that is not the answer?
- precalc - Reiny, Friday, July 15, 2011 at 5:59pm
y = (8 ± √(64-4(1)(16-x))/2
= (8 ± √(4x) )/2
= (8 ± 2√x)/2
= 4 ± √x
check: let x = 3 into the first
y = 9 - 24 + 16 = 1
put x = 1 into the second:
y = 4 ± √1 = 5 or 3
notice the the inverse of each of the equations is not a function.
Answer this Question
- Physics - I'm trying to rearange this 0 = Xo + 2^-1 a t^2 for t I've been told ...
- two step equation-fraction - I need step by step how to get the answer, I have ...
- functions - For each problem, construct two composite functions, . Evaluate each...
- precalc(help!!) - I have been trying to figure this out for hours and I still ...
- math - Could you show me step by step how to find the inverse of this problem: ...
- Math ( composite functions ) - I need some help with composite functions where ...
- Math(Please check) - The following function is one-to-one; find its inverse f(x...
- Math - Give the equation of the line that passes through point (1, 2) and is ...
- Algebra - Given the functions f(x)=x+5/3 and g(x)=1/f^-1(x)+1, find the value ...
- Algebra - I'm trying to solve (5x-4)/(5x+4)=2/3. I don't know how to get the x's...