Posted by Jen on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 11:09am.
Identify which argument is invalid:
a.) If I catch the bus on time, then I am not late to work.
I was late to work.
Therefore, I did not catch the bus on time.
b.) If I shower in the morning, then I do not smell bad.
I do not smell bad.
Therefore, I showered in the morning.
c.) Either I catch the bus on time or I am late to work.
I did not catch the bus on time.
Therefore, I was late to work.
d.) If the water is filtered, then it will not contain lead.
The water is filtered.
Therefore, it does not contain lead.
e.) If the elephant roars, then it does not want company.
If it does not want company, then it is hungry.
If the elephant roars, then it is hungry.
- Math-geometry - Max, Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 12:03pm
What do you think? I'll be glad to check your answer.
- Math-geometry - Jen, Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 1:09pm
i think its e.)
- Math-geometry - Max, Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 1:25pm
Actually, e.) is a valid statement according to the Law of Syllogism.
If I shower in the morning, then I do not smell bad.
I do not smell bad.
You cannot make any valid conclusion because either "I showered in the morning" or "I didn't shower in the morning" makes the first premise true.
p. q. p -> q
T. T. T
F. T. T
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - If the argument below is valid, name which of the four valid forms of ...
- Physics - A physics student who is late for school is trying to catch her bus. ...
- Geometry - I'm really stuck with this question can someone please help me. A bus...
- MTH 156 - "Emergency Please Help"!!!!! A bus is scheduled to stop at a certain ...
- Physics - Can someone please tell me if I've approached this homework problem ...
- PHYSICS - A student is running at her top speed of 4.6 m/s to catch a bus, which...
- Physichs - A pedestrian is running at his maximum speed of 6.0m/s to catch a ...
- help i have no idea!!!!!! - Jack has to take the bus to school and he can't be ...
- AP Physics - Jack is 12m from the bus and is running towards the bus at a ...
- Physics? clueless on what to do - Jack is 12m from the bus and is running ...