Posted by determining molar mass on Monday, July 11, 2011 at 10:39pm.
Okay so I know how I would normally determine molar mass of a compound *get out periodic table, sum up elements present, eg. H20 = [2(1.008)+16.00]g/mol*
But this is for a lab class and they want us to derive it.
Info found: Ethylene glycol (C2H6O2 according to book) dissolved in water:
mass water: 150 g
mass ethylene glycol: 50 g
found boiling point: 103 C
MW ethylene glycol: ?
We've been using the boiling point elevation equation a lot
I suppose the molality would be:
1.) 50g solute*(1 mole solute/62.068g solute)=0.81 mol solute
2.) 150g solvent*(1 kg solvent/1000 g solvent)=0.150kg solvent
3.) m = 0.81 mol solute/0.150kg solvent
m = 5.4
van't Hoff factor of ethylene glycol is (I believe) 1 (organic compound)
this would make k(boil)=^T(boil)/m or more specifically ~0.74 (technically 20/27 but that would violate sig. figs)
but I'm not sure what any of this has to do w/ calculating the molecular weight.
Thank you in advance.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, July 11, 2011 at 11:28pm
delta T = Kb*m
Solve for m
molality = moles/kg solvent
molality from above x 0.150 = moles ethylene glycol. Solve for moles.
moles = grams/molar mass
You have moles and grams, solve for molar mass. Assuming 103 is your best T measurment, I come up with about 57. The molar mass from the periodic table is about 62. Error about 8%.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - When 23.18 g of element A react completely with 48.08 g of E, ...
- Chemistry - My question is what is the molar mass of 1.00 mol of Li? Can you ...
- Chemistry - Maleic acid is an organic compound composed of 41.39% C, 3.47% H, ...
- chemistry help!!! (clueless) - how do i find the mass number of chemicals I ...
- Chemistry - how do i figure out the valences for elements in the transition ...
- Chemistry - I did the work, but I need help checking it... A compound contains ...
- Science - The combustion of a compound which contains only C and H yields 2.58 g...
- Chemistry - According to the Star Trek "Fifth Interstellar Geophysical ...
- honors chemistry - Compare the present Periodic Table with Mendeleevs original ...
- Science (Chemistry Periodic Table of Elements) - A tube of "Brilliant Yellow" ...