Posted by Joe on Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 3:14pm.
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota?
What is the significance of this poem? What does the author mean by the last line?
I don't understand what this poem is about and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year's horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.
English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 3:26pm
I interpret this poem on its surface -- as descriptive of a bucolic scene. However, as these sites point out, that's only one way to interpret this poem. Read them, especially the first site.
(Broken Link Removed)
English - SraJMcGin, Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 3:41pm
Here are more sites with interpretations that you might like to study:
The wonder of poetry is that there can be so many interpretations, depending upon the reader's experiences.
Have you ever spent time lying in a hammock? One interpretation is that the poet wasted his life by not doing something more productive. But, I choose to interpret it that he wasted his life by not doing MORE of that.
Just look at the colors, sounds you can imagine. The beauty of a butterfly at rest, the sound of a hawk floating, but always looking for prey.
The title seems very long for this poem, but since I've been where he was (although not on that farm), I can still see the countryside.
You need to FEEL a poem and that is easier if you actually read it out loud, imagining each line. A poem has to tell an entire story but in very few lines, and that is much more difficult to do than prose!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I don't understand this poem. Well, I understad the first part until ...
- English - What is the interpretation of Lines 1-8 of: On the Pulse of Morning? I...
- Literature HELP!! - Effectively interpreting symbols in a poem requires _____. A...
- English - I need to write a poem in the style of an American romantic poet. I ...
- english - Which of the following statements BEST explains why "I Am Offering ...
- English - I don't understand what William Wordsworth's poem, The Prelude, is ...
- English - Ms. Sue help - Help on this question I don't understand Answer the ...
- ENGLISH-POETRY - NEED HELP WITH WRITING A 10 LINE IAMBIC POEM ABOUT WEATHER AND ...
- English - I'm studying this poem "By The Seaside" by William Wordsworth and I ...
- english/poem/writeteacher - Regarding my poem the teacher doesn't want to follow...