posted by Amanda on .
1. Among early hunting and gathering peoples, the commonly occurring mark that looks like a "P" is thought to stand for a
A. favored animal
C. powerful male leader. (my answer)
D. symbol for a calendar.
2. Charles Darwin supported the theory that agriculture developed as a result of
B. population growth.
C. accident. (my answer)
3. The Nile River supports Egyptian agriculture by
A. supplying extra water for irrigation to supplement annual rains.
B. never flooding.
C. providing easy transport for crops.
D. flooding its banks and depositing rich soil. (my answer)
4. Relative to related species, what physiological advantages allowed early humans to adapt to their environment?
A. An ability to sweat profusely in order to stay cool (my answer)
B. Physical strength superior to that of predators
C. Excellent senses of smell and sight
D. A natural ability to climb trees
5. The ancient Chinese phrase, "Mandate of Heaven" is most similar to the concept of
A. manifest destiny.
B. the divinity of kings. (my answer)
C. paradise on Earth.
D. rigid firmament.
6. El Niño affects the Andean region by
A. causing the seasonal rains to come at the wrong time.
B. decreasing the temperature.
C. causing torrential rains. (my answer)
D. causing drought.
7. Wall paintings from Etruscan tombs depict a society that was seemingly
A. segregated with respect to gender. (my answer)
B. simple and didn't depict the human form.
C. austere and sexually repressed.
D. sexually open.
8. In foraging societies, it's common for
A. members of both sexes to share equally in hunting and gathering.
B. men to be the primary foragers.
C. men to be hunters and women to be gatherers.
D. women to be hunters and men to be gatherers. (my answer)
9. One of the benefits of political instability in China was
A. greater political centralization.
B. increased trade.
C. new intellectual endeavors.
D. greater agricultural output. (my answer)
10. It's believed that the role of feasts in the Ice Age was to
A. celebrate the resolution of serious conflicts.
B. strengthen group ties. (my answer)
C. celebrate weddings.
D. mark times when food was abundant.
11. The basis for the alphabet developed by the Greeks came from
B. the Greeks themselves.
D. Egypt.(my answer)
12. Neanderthals lived alongside Homo sapiens for thousands of years,
A. and had larger brains than humans.
B. but couldn't vocalize because they had smaller brains than humans. (my answer)
C. and are known to have continually fought each other.
D. and are believed to have interbred with humans.
13. The Harappan writing that survives
A. can't be deciphered.
B. relates stories of heroes. (my answer)
C. records law codes.
D. was used for religious texts.
14. Which of the following was the first known king of a city within Mesopotamia?
B. Lipit-Ishtar (my answer)
15. The expansion of agriculture can be traced across sub-Saharan Africa through the spread of the _______ language group.
B. Swahili (my answer)
16. Which of the following archaeological evidence suggests that the Olmec were shamanistic?
A. Depictions of captives (my answer)
B. Records of their mythology
C. Figurines of were-jaguars
D. Inscriptions describing religious observances
17. Which of the following is an objection to the abundance theory?
A. Agriculture was more a cause than a consequence. (my answer)
B. People wouldn't take on unnecessarily labor-intensive practices.
C. Agriculture was more a consequence than a cause.
D. Agriculture most likely resulted by accident.
18. The ancient Egyptians regarded their kings a
A. powerful rulers, but not divine.
B. divine, but not gods. (my answer)
C. strong rulers only in times of crisis or war.
D. living gods.
19. The earliest evidence for the domestication of the horse is found in present-day
B. Bulgaria. (my answer)
20. Which of the following is true regarding early agricultural societies?
A. The food supply became more reliable. (my answer)
B. The diet became more varied.
C. Social and economic exploitation increased.
D. Diseases became less of a problem.
I agree with your answers to:
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, and 20.
I don't know 9 and 17.
I disagree with your other answers.
Thank You. I will look over the other answers and try to correct them.
12 is D according to recent DNA testing.
Ok So I redid them and got the following answers.
I can't seem to find the answers for 7,8,and 9....
9 is def not religion....
strengthen group ties