posted by paul smith on .
2. Large central power stations typically have a power output capacity of 1000 MW and convert about 35 percent of the input energy to electricity. Consider such a plant that burns coal with an energy content of 24 MJ/kg.
1. How much coal (tons) is required by this plant per year, assuming it operates continuously?
2. If 10 percent of the coal mass remains as residual ash, how many tons will develop in the ash pile over 30 years?
3. A coal plant will produce 2.13 kg of CO2 for every kg of coal burned. How much CO2 is produced annually by this plant?
4. If 1 ton of SO2 is produced for every 250 tons of coal consumed, how much SO2 is produced in a year?