Posted by Leslie-To:Writeacher on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 8:44pm.
A predicate is the part of the sentence that always contains a noun or pronoun.
The predicate is one of the two main parts of a sentence - The other being the subject. The predicate is said to modify the subject.
(a statement or action) -
50-50 guess. Why I am asking.
- GRAMMAR - Writeacher, Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 8:59pm
See the first noun definition.
Let me know what you think.
- GRAMMAR - Leslie-To:Writeacher, Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:27pm
It sounds to me like it has more to do with the VERB - therefore the ANSWER would be FALSE.
- GRAMMAR - Writeacher, Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:28pm
- GRAMMAR - Leslie-To:Writeacher, Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:47pm
Thank you -
Found a definition:
the simple predicate is the verb or verb phrase in the sentence.
I told you I would be back - just gearing up for the real GRAMMAR NIGHTMARE ahead of me in the months to come on Medical Transcription.
Thanks again, Leslie
- GRAMMAR - Writeacher, Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:56pm
Yes. Your definition is far better (easier to understand) than that of grammarians!
Think of a sentence like this ~~> Each clause has two parts: the subject and all that goes with it, and the verb and all that goes with it.
A sentence can fit any of these patterns (and a few variations):
1 independent clause = simple sentence
2 independent clauses (joined by a comma and coordinating conjunction -- or by a semicolon) = compound sentence
1 independent and 1 dependent clause = complex sentence
2 independent clauses (joined...) plus 1 dependent clause = complex sentence
This is one of the most complete sites that explains all kinds of grammar and usage issues. The easiest way to find topics is to use the Index.
Answer this Question
- Grammar - Select the correct statement: A) The subject of the sentence is that ...
- Language arts 8th grade. - Which sentence contains a predicate pronoun as a ...
- enlish/grammar - I was wondering if these sentences are labeled right with ...
- English - Identify the italicized part of the sentence. The main event will be a...
- english - Identify the capitalized part of the sentence. The main event WILL be ...
- Grammar - Select the correct statement: A) The predicate of the sentence is that...
- Grammar - An adjective cannot tell which one, what kind, or how many. A) True B...
- grammar - Identify ALL nouns and pronouns in the following sentence. An = not a ...
- Grammar and Composition - please check these: 1. Traveling down the road of life...
- writing - Hello, This sentence contains a compound predicate ...right? She ...