Posted by Kai on Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:15pm.
"A woman earns 10.00 per hour at her job, but if she works more than 20 hours in a week she is paid 1.5 times her regular salary for the overtime hours worked. One week her gross pay was 275. How many overtime hours did she work that week?
Express your answer in hours to 2 significant figures."
I'm not sure how to start the problem. I tried something like:
10(h) + ??? = 275 hours but that doesn't seem like the right equation.
- Math (Basic) - Reiny, Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:25pm
let the number of overtime hours be x
275 = 10(20) + 15x
solve for x
I got x = 5
20 hours at $10 = 200
5 hours at $15 = 75
total = 275 , yeahhh
- Math (Basic) - Kai, Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:36pm
Where did you get the 15x from?
- Math (Basic) - Reiny, Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:39pm
what is 1.5 of $10 ?
20 hours at $10 = 20(10) = 200
x hours at $15 = x(15) = 15x
- Math (Basic) - Kai, Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:40pm
Oh I see. Thank you!
- Math (Basic) - Anonymous, Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:54pm
THIS DOESN'T HELP AT ALL!!!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Joelle earns her regular pay of 7.50 per hour for up to 40 hours a week. ...
- Math - Mike is paid at a rate of 950 per hour for the first 40 hours worked in a...
- help with math! - Evonne earns $10.50 per hour for a 40 hour week. She earns ...
- Math - 18. Carla earns $8.43 per hour working 40 hours a week. If she worked 7 ...
- Math - liz earns a weekly salary of $459 and $20 per hour for each overtime hour...
- Math HELP FAST PLEASE - liz earns a weekly salary of $459 and $20 per hour for ...
- algebra - Assume you work at a company where you are paid hourly. You are paid $...
- ?? - why do you times 8.6x1.5x8? where does the 8 come from? You said the ...
- consumer math - Jan Quint earns $7.00 an hour at her job and is entitled to time...
- math - Jan Quint earns $7.00 an hour at her job and is entitled to time-and-a-...