Posted by TAINA on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 3:23pm.
Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that is worth $6.20. If the number of dimes was doubled and the number of nickels was decreased by 37, the value of the coins would be $8.85. How many nickels and dimes does he have?
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 4:13pm
original number of nickels : x
original number of dimes : y
5x + 10y = 620 or
x + 2y = 124 (#1)
number of nickels : 2y
number of dimes : x-37
5(x-37) + 10(2y) = 885
5x + 20y = 1070
x + 4y = 214 (#2)
subtract: #2 - #1
2y = 90
y = 45
sub into #1
x + 2(45) = 124
x = 34
He had 34 nickels and 45 dimes
check: 34nickels + 45 dimes = 170+450 = 620
90 dimes + (-3nickels) = 900 - 15 = 885
Even though there is a mathematical solution , and the answer can be verified arithmetically, the answer
makes no real sense
So I would say there is no solution, and the problem as stated is flawed.
- math - Henry, Wednesday, June 22, 2011 at 2:36pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that is worth $8.55. If the ...
- Math - Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that is worth $6.05 if the ...
- algebra help - Solve the problem. Joe has a collection of nickels and dimes that...
- Math - In a collection of nickels, dimes, and quarters worth &6.90, the ratio of...
- Math - A collection of nickels dimes and quarters consist of 22 coins with the ...
- Math - A candy machine contains 5 times the number of nickels in dimes and is ...
- intermediate algebra - joe has a collection of nickles and dimes that is worth $...
- algebra - Joe has a collection of nickles and dimes that is worth $7.65.If the ...
- Algebra - This is a word problem I am supposed to solve with systems. I am ...
- math - rose counted her money and found that her 25 coins which were nickels, ...