Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 1:30pm.
Below is the last stanza of a poem, "Dover Beach," written in 1876 by Matthew Arnold.
Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.
Which one of the following statements best characterizes Arnold's view of the world?
A. The world is made for lovers.
B. The world is a confusing and hostile place.
C. The world is just a dream.
D. The world is not a beautiful place
reading - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 1:48pm
I'll be glad to comment on your answer.
reading - Anonymous, Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 4:08pm
ok u can
reading - shawnta, Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 11:15pm
D the world is not a beautiful place.
reading - Anonymous, Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 3:11pm
the answer is D, the world isn't a beautiful place.
reading - shanika, Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 9:47am
the world is a beautiful place
reading - ms.brown, Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 3:13am
B. is incorrect
reading - ms.brown, Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 3:15am
B.is correct D. is incorrect
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- reading - Below is the last stanza of a poem, "Dover Beach," written in 1876 by...
- literature - Read the following passage from act 3, scene 2. ...
- math proportions - At a certain time of the day, a 5 foot 1...
- Algebra 2 - Describe an infinite geometric series with a beginning value of 2 ...
- math - Tuition of $1762 will be due when the spring term begins in...
- maths - Select the option that is the equation y=2x-2 rearranged to make x the ...
- statistics - The life spans of three randomly selected tires are 28,100...
- solid chemestry - Diffraction from an unknown cubic metal is observed to occur ...
- college algebra - A limousine service charges $20 plus $0....
- Algebra - An investor invested a total of $1,900 in two mutual ...