Posted by geekgirl95 on Monday, June 20, 2011 at 10:15pm.
april sells specialty teddy bears at various summer festivals. her profit for a week,P, in dollars, can be modelled by P= -0.1n^2 + 30n - 1200, where n is the umber of teddy bearsshe sells during the week.
a.) According to this model, could april ever earn a profit of $2000.
b.) how many teddy bears would she have to sell to break even ?
c.) how many teddy bears to earn $500?
d.) how many teddy bears would she have to sell to maximize her profit?
math - MathMate, Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 9:44am
Given Profit, P = -0.1n^2 + 30n - 1200
If P=2000, then
2000=-0.1n^2 + 30n - 1200
Solve for n in
0.1n^2 - 30n + 1200 + 2000 = 0
n^2 - 300n + 32000 = 0
Since the discriminant (-300)²-4*3200 < 0
there are no real roots for n, hence April will not be able to get a profit of $2000.
b. to break even means P=0
c. to make a profit of $500 means P=500
d. to maximize profit will require a little trial and error (it is between n=100 and n=200).
However, if you have learned calculus, you can equate P'(n)=0. If not, you can also evaluate the value of n to give a Pmax at n=-b/(2a) in the equation
P(n)=a*n^2 + b*n + c
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Mai has 3 times as many teddy bears as tony. Altogether they have 24 ...
- Kinder math - Cover the teddy bears in the top row with different color teddy ...
- math - My son is in Kindergarten and I have no idea about the "Counters" in the ...
- trig - Karen earns 43 dollars per week working pt at a bookstore. she makes one ...
- Math - Ice Dreams finds its profit from the sale of ice cream increases by $30 ...
- math - edgar earns 200 dollars a week plus a 15% commission on all sales over 1,...
- Finance - It's January 1, 2011. Company XYZ wants to build a teddy bear factory...
- math - A meat department manager discovrs that she can sell m(x) killograms of ...
- Finance - Seven years ago a semi-annual coupon bond with a 10% coupon rate, $1,...
- math - First week sells 6 chairs for $80 each. Next week, if chair is not sold, ...