Posted by kate on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 5:44pm.
King Arthur's knights fire a cannon from the top of the castle wall. The cannonball is fired at a speed of 54 m/s and at an angle of 34°. A cannonball that was accidentally dropped hits the moat below in 1.1 s.(a) (a)How far from the castle wall does the cannonball hit the ground?
(b) What is the ball's maximum height above the ground?
- physics - Damon, Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 5:52pm
How high is the wall if a dropped object hits ground in 1.1 seconds?
h = (1/2) g t^2
= 4.9(1.1)^2 = 5.93 meters high
u = 54 cos 34 forever
Vi =54 sin 34
v = 54 sin 34 - 9.8 t
h = 5.93 + Vi t - 4.9 t^2
when h = 0, the ball hits ground
0 = 5.93 + (54 sin 34) t - 4.9 t^2
solve for t with quadratic eqn
distance = u t = 54 cos 34 * t
for the last part, v = 0 at the top so
9.8 t = 54 sin 34
use that t in
h = 5.93 + (54 sin 34) t - 4.9 t^2
to get h at the top
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics 111 - King Arthur's knights fire a cannon from the top of the castle ...
- physics - King Arthur's knights fire a cannon from the top of the castle wall. ...
- Physics - King Arthur's knights fire a cannon from the top of the castle wall. ...
- Physics - The cannonball is fired at a speed of 45 and an angle of 35 . A ...
- physics - You are a Middle Ages cannonball scientist attacking a castle a ...
- Physics - a) A cannonball is fired horizontally from the top of a cliff. The ...
- physics - A cannon is mounted on a tower above a wide, level field. The barrel ...
- Physics - A revolutionary cannon, with a mass of 2000kg, fires a 20kg ball ...
- Physics - Someone posted the question below, stating that they knew the answer ...
- Physics - A cannon launches a ball with the initial speed of 210 m/s at a 70 ...