Posted by Smartypants on Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 12:51am.
Mr lol bought x oranges for $30 and sold them at a profit of 5cents per orange. Write down the (i)cost price of an orange.
(ii)the selling price of an orange
When he had sold all except 20 of the oranges, he found he had received $28.
(iii) form an equation in x and show that it simplifies to xsquare + 20x -12000= 0
- Math - Henry, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 3:29pm
1. Cost = $30/X per orange.
2. Selling Price = (30/X+0.05)per orange.
3. (30/X + 0.05)(X - 20) = 28,
Multiply the 2 binomials and get:
30 - 600/X + 0.05X - 1 = 28,
Multiply both sides by X:
30X - 600 + 0.05X^2 - X = 28X,
0.05X^2 + 29X - 600 = 28X,
0.05X^2 + 29X - 28X - 600 = 0,
0.05X^2 + X - 600 = 0,
Multiply both sides by 20:
X^2 + 20X - 12000 = 0.
- Math - Raymond, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 5:15pm
But your solution of this problem doesn't show the stuff that any real businessman would want to know. How many oranges? What is my unit cost in actual cents not formula? When will I be in profit? etc
- Math - Click6, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:00pm
Thanks a lot Henry! Your working is right!
Btw, thank too Raymond for helping me out, I appreciate it a lot (:
- Math - Click6, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:02pm
Appreciate both of you who help me! Thanks!!!!!
- Math - Click6, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:56pm
Btw Henry, why multiply by 20 in the end? Is it because he had sold all except 20 of the oranges?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math algebra (urgent!) help me! Thanks a lot!! (; - Mr lol bought x oranges for...
- Math - The question is: A Woman is selling an (X) amount of Oranges The first ...
- maths - if the price of an orange was raised by 1/2k per orange, the number of ...
- Math - Mr. Santiago bought 10 crates of oranges. There were 50 oranges in each ...
- maths - Keith had a bag of orange's to sell.On Monday he sold 1/4of his orange's...
- math - A trader bought 30 baskets of potatoes and 100 baskets of oranges for $...
- Math - Part 1- Mr. Santiago bought 10 crates of oranges. There were 50 oranges ...
- math - the cost of banana is Re.1 more than that of an orange. Mr asad purchased...
- Maths algebra - Wilma went to the local market and bought 3 lemons and 5 oranges...
- Math - Mr.Santiago brought 10 crates of oranges. There were 50 oranges in each ...