Posted by Smartypants on Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 12:51am.
Mr lol bought x oranges for $30 and sold them at a profit of 5cents per orange. Write down the (i)cost price of an orange.
(ii)the selling price of an orange
When he had sold all except 20 of the oranges, he found he had received $28.
(iii) form an equation in x and show that it simplifies to xsquare + 20x -12000= 0
- Math - Henry, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 3:29pm
1. Cost = $30/X per orange.
2. Selling Price = (30/X+0.05)per orange.
3. (30/X + 0.05)(X - 20) = 28,
Multiply the 2 binomials and get:
30 - 600/X + 0.05X - 1 = 28,
Multiply both sides by X:
30X - 600 + 0.05X^2 - X = 28X,
0.05X^2 + 29X - 600 = 28X,
0.05X^2 + 29X - 28X - 600 = 0,
0.05X^2 + X - 600 = 0,
Multiply both sides by 20:
X^2 + 20X - 12000 = 0.
- Math - Raymond, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 5:15pm
But your solution of this problem doesn't show the stuff that any real businessman would want to know. How many oranges? What is my unit cost in actual cents not formula? When will I be in profit? etc
- Math - Click6, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:00pm
Thanks a lot Henry! Your working is right!
Btw, thank too Raymond for helping me out, I appreciate it a lot (:
- Math - Click6, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:02pm
Appreciate both of you who help me! Thanks!!!!!
- Math - Click6, Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:56pm
Btw Henry, why multiply by 20 in the end? Is it because he had sold all except 20 of the oranges?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math algebra (urgent!) help me! Thanks a lot!! (; - Mr lol bought x oranges for...
- maths - if the price of an orange was raised by 1/2k per orange, the number of ...
- Math - The question is: A Woman is selling an (X) amount of Oranges The first ...
- Math - Mr. Santiago bought 10 crates of oranges. There were 50 oranges in each ...
- Maths algebra - Wilma went to the local market and bought 3 lemons and 5 oranges...
- Math - Part 1- Mr. Santiago bought 10 crates of oranges. There were 50 oranges ...
- Math - Bosley's Pet Foods buys dog kibbl for $19.50 per bag, less 40%. The store...
- Math - Mr.Santiago brought 10 crates of oranges. There were 50 oranges in each ...
- maths - Jill bought 10 manoges and 5 oranges. Chris bought 5 mangoes and 10 ...
- Calc and Vectors - The owner of an orange grove estimates that 150 orange trees ...