Posted by PIMP on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 1:15pm.
A 5.0-kilogram sphere, starting from rest, falls freely 22 meters in 3.0 seconds near the surface of a planet.
Compared to the acceleration due to gravity near Earth’s surface, the acceleration due to gravity near the
surface of the planet is approximately
(1) the same (3) one-half as great
(2) twice as great (4) four times as great
- PHYSICS - PIMP, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 2:13pm
PLEASE ANSWER. I HAVE PHYSIS REGENTS TOMMORW MUY IMPORTANTE
- PHYSICS - bobpursley, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 2:29pm
Hmmmm. You have to be a highschool boy. You use the immature name PIMP, and you expect serious responses from adults. Maybe you are just joking about you need help, how are we to know?
- PHYSICS - drwls, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 2:48pm
On earth, the distance an object would fall in 3.0 seconds is
(g/2)*t^2 = 4.9*9 = 44.1 m
On planet X, it falls 22 meters.
The distance it falls in a given time t is proportional to the acceleration of gravity.
Reach your own conclusion from that.
- PHYSICS - personwhowantstolearn, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 4:01pm
7 On the surface of Earth, a spacecraft has a mass
of 2.00 × 104 kilograms. What is the mass of the
spacecraft at a distance of one Earth radius
above Earth’s surface?
(1) 5.00 × 103 kg (3) 4.90 × 104 kg
(2) 2.00 × 104 kg (4) 1.96 × 105 kg
- PHYSICS - bobpursley, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 4:11pm
The mass does not change with position.
- PHYSICS - Stace, Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 4:13pm
bobpursley, instead of wasting time on speculating about the poster, just actually help out. Clearly this person needs help because he deliberately came on the site, asking for help. Immature name or not.
Anyway, the answer is one half as great. Here's how you find out:
First the givens are:
vi=0 (b/c it starts at rest)
a on Earth always equals 9.81 m/s*s
Given these variable, I surmised that the best formula to use is d=vi(t)+(1/2)at^2.
When you plug in the variables given, you are left with:
22=(1/2)a(3)^(2) ,which gives you:
Now its basic algebra. Divide both sides by 4.5 and you end up getting a=4.8 repeating. When you divide 9.81 by 2, you get 4.905, which is close enough, showing you that it one half as great.
Hope that helps! And good luck on the regents.
- PHYSICS - Anonymous, Monday, September 29, 2014 at 8:44pm
- PHYSICS - Anonymous, Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 1:18pm
>Uses the name PIMP
>Expects a serious homework question
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- earth - A 5.0-kilogram sphere, starting from rest, falls freely 22 meters in 3.0...
- Physics - An object is allowed to fall freely near the surface of an unknown ...
- physics - A rock falls from rest a vertical distance of 0.63 meters to the ...
- physics - acceleration due to gravity questions when an object is dropped from a...
- phyics-universal gravity - A hypothetical planet has a radius 3.3 times that of ...
- physics - A hypothetical planet has a radius 2.1 times that of Earth, but has ...
- physics - An astronaut is on the surface of planet whose air resistance is ...
- physics - 9. The surface of the earth is approximately 6,400 km from its center...
- physics - A hypothetical planet has a radius 1.1 times that of Earth, but has ...
- Physics help please - The space shuttle orbits at a distance of 335 km above the...