Posted by Ashley on Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 11:35pm.
An obsever is looking out to sea from the top of a building that is 30 m above sea leavel. He observera ship at an angle of depression of 10. How far is the ship from the foot of the bulding?
- Math -- assistance needed - Writeacher, Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 8:02am
Please type your subject in the School Subject box. Any other words, including obscure abbreviations, are likely to delay responses from a teacher who knows that subject well.
- Juwayria Highscholl - MathMate, Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 10:31am
For your security, please refrain from posting the name of your school.
Let O represent the observer,
B = base of the building (vertically below the observer O), and
S = the observed ship.
OBS represents a right-triangle right-angled at B.
Angle of depression
Solve the right triangle:
OB = 30m
&BSO = 10°
tan(10°)=OB/BS = 30m / BS
Solve for BS
BS = 30m /tan(10°)
=30m / 0.17633 (approx.)
= 170 m (approx.)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - An observer at the top of a lighthouse 55m Hugh sights a ship at a sea ...
- Math(angle of depression) i need help please.. - An observer on top of a cliff ...
- Geometry - There is a flagpole in the school parking lot. Which of the ...
- maths - From an aircraft flying at 8000 metres above sea level the angle of ...
- Pre-Calculus - During a storm a ship is being tossed up and down by huge waves. ...
- physical geography - If a ship's flag is 36' above sea level, could it be seen ...
- HELP!!!! - Lee is on a cliff 360 m above sea level, the angle of depression of a...
- calculus - A lifeguard was staring at a ship in the distance, and watched the ...
- 11th grade - A lifeguard was staring at a ship in the distance, and watched the ...
- Angle of depression need help also - A fighter plane is flying horizontally at a...