Posted by Casey on Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 8:55pm.
A child rides on a Ferris Wheel at the State Fair.
The seat always faces to the right. There are three forces that act on the child,the child’s weight, W, the normal force of the seat,N, and the force of friction between the child and the seat, f.
At which listed location(s) does the gravitational force, W, contribute to the centripetal
force on the child and not oppose it?
b. Mid way on right side
d. top and bottom
My answer: a
At which position(s) will the magnitude of the normal force, N, be the greatest?
b. midway to the right
d. midway to the left
e. It is the same at all the listed locations.
My answer: C
If friction were very small and there is no grab bar across the seat, where would the child be in the greatest danger?
b. midway far right
d. midway far left
e. The danger is the same everywhere.
My answer: e
Are this assumptions correct??
- Physics - drwls, Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 10:24pm
Your first two answers are correct. The last one is not. With the child always facing right, seat cushion friction or a grab bar will have to provide a centripetal force to the left to keep the child accelerating toward the center. Without that force, the child will slide out of the seat. The answer is b.
One might also conclude that the top position is the least safe because the child has the greatest distance to fall, but that will not happen unless the child is crawling about
Answer this Question
- physics - A 34.1 kg child rides a Ferris wheel whose diameter is 18.3 m. When ...
- General physics - A 34.1 kg child rides a Ferris wheel whose diameter is 18.3 m...
- physics - A 57.0 kg child takes a ride on a Ferris wheel that rotates four times...
- PHYSICS 111 - A 37.5-kg child swings in a swing supported by two chains, each 3....
- Physics 111 PLEASE HELP ASAP - A 37.5-kg child swings in a swing supported by ...
- Grade 12 physics - At the beach, 3 children pull on a floating toy. Child 1 plus...
- Genetics - Albinism is inherited as a simple recessive trait. If a woman and her...
- physics - A man swings his child in a circle of radius 0.75 m .If the mass of ...
- Physics - A car moving at 8 m/s crashes into a barrier and stops in 0.050 s. ...
- Physics - Problem 3- A 40 kg child swings in a swing supported by two ropes, ...