Posted by Meg on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 4:48pm.
PLEASE HELP ME, I HAVE AN EXAM TOMORROW AND THIS THE ONLY QUESTION I HAVE. THE AREA OF A REGULAR HEXAGON IS 35 IN SQUARED. FIND THE LENGTH OF A SIDE. ROUND YOUR ANSWER TO THE NEAREST TENTH. I KNOW THE ANSWER IS 3.7 BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET IT!!
- GEOMETRY - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 4:59pm
This site explains how to find the area of a regular hexagon.
- GEOMETRY - Meg, Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 5:15pm
IM GOING TO CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- GEOMETRY - Meg, Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 5:21pm
But it doesn't say what the apothem or the perimeter is so HOW do I find the length of A side????? The website didn't help at all.
- GEOMETRY - Reiny, Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 6:04pm
The area is made up of 6 equilateral triangles
look at one of these. call each side x
draw a perpendicular from a vertex to the base, call it h. Makes no difference which one, since all sides are the same
We can find the height h by using Pythagoras
((1/2)x)^2 + h^2 = x^2
(1/4)x^2 + h^2 = x^2
h^2 = x^2 - (1/4)x^2 = (3/4)x^2
h = √3x/2
area of one triangle = (1/2)basexheight
area of whole hexagon = 6(√3/4)x^2 = (3√3/2)x^2
but this equals 35
(3√3/2)x^2 = 35
x^2 = 70/(3√3) = 13.4715
x = 3.67035 , they rounded that off to 3.7
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - Hi, I'm having a difficult time understanding a couple of Geometry ...
- Geometry - the area of a regular hexagon is 35" squared. Find the length of a ...
- geometry - find the area of a regular hexagon with the side length 4m. round to ...
- Geometry - Find the area of a regular hexagon with side length of 10 centimeters...
- geometry - The area of a particular regular hexagon is x^3 square units, where x...
- Geometry - ABCDEF is a regular hexagon with side length 43√4. Points G,H,I...
- help hexagon geometry - A regular hexagon is inscribed in a circle and another ...
- geometry - A regular hexagon has an area of 96sqrt3. What is the length of each ...
- geometry - Hexagon D and hexagon H are regular hexagons. The scale factor from ...
- Geometry - The area of a regular hexagon is 35in.2. Find the length of the side.