Posted by Ashley on Monday, May 23, 2011 at 8:14pm.
A triangle has side lengths of (x+4), (4x-8), and (2x+8) units. If the perimeter of the triangle is at least 88 units, what is the minimum length of each side of the triangle?
Pre-algebra (DESPRATE NEED OF HELP!) - MathMate, Monday, May 23, 2011 at 9:12pm
The length of each side can be calculated by the distance formula.
For example, between (x+4) and (4x-8), the distance is:
Sum the three sides and force the inequality of
Solve for x.
Note that the sides of the triangle are monotonically increasing, which means that the sum is also.
You can solve by an iterative process. I get x(min)=13.55...
So the lengths of each side can be calculated accordingly.
Pre-algebra (DESPRATE NEED OF HELP!) - Reiny, Monday, May 23, 2011 at 9:13pm
x+4 + 4x-8 + 2x+8 ≥ 88
7x + 4 ≥ 88
7x ≥ 84
x ≥ 12
plug x = 12 into each of the side expressions
Pre-algebra !! - MathMate, Monday, May 23, 2011 at 9:52pm
Thanks Reiny, I wasn't reading the question right!
Sorry, Ashley, please go with Reiny's answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre-algebra HELP ME PLEASE - A triangle has side lengths of (x+4), (4x-8), and (...
- math - The longest side of a triangle is six more units that the shortest side. ...
- Geometry - The sides of a triangle have lengths of 9, 11, and 16 units. What is ...
- Algebra - The perimeter of an equilateral triangle is 7 in. more than the ...
- Math - The side lengths of a right triangle are each an integral number of units...
- Geometry - 2 sides of an equilateral triangle measure (y+10) units and (y^2-2) ...
- pre- algebra - The perimeter of a triangle is 24 cm. One side is 2 cm longer ...
- Algebra - If the length of one side of a triangle Is 2x - 1 units and the ...
- Algebra 2 - The lenths of the side of a triangle are x+4 units, x units, and x+1...
- Geometry - In a triangle with integer side lengths, one side is three times as ...