Posted by mary on Friday, May 20, 2011 at 12:02pm.
No one could have predicted that a skinny 20-year-old baseball player with the Milwaukee Braves
would one day break Babe Ruth's career home run record, but that is exactly what Hank Aaron did.
Aaron was not a splashy or showy player, but he was a steady and reliable one. When he started out in
1954, Aaron had an unusual way of batting: although he was right-handed, he placed his right hand
below his left hand on the bat—the opposite of how most right-handed hitters grip the bat. That first
year, he hit only 13 home runs. But then he gained weight, increased his power, changed his grip, and
started to hit more home runs consistently each year. He did this for 23 years in the major leagues,
until finally in 1974, he managed to conquer the Mount Everest of baseball hitting records, which was
Babe Ruth's career total of 714 home runs. When Aaron surpassed this record, he acknowledged the
honor graciously and then returned to playing baseball and hitting more home runs. That was his way.
By hitting steadily season after season, Hank Aaron became at that time the all-time home run leader,
finishing his career with a total of 755.
3. Which of the following statements best
describes the main idea of this passage?
A. Only experts could have predicted
that Aaron would be great.
B. The key to Aaron's success was
playing well over a long period.
C. Like Aaron, Babe Ruth had just an
average first season in the majors.
D. Aaron played for several different
major league teams
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Aaron's father is nine times as old as he is. One year ago, he was two ...
- Math - Aaron and ron are brothers. four years later,ron will be twice as old as...
- Math - Aaron and Ben have a total of 976 trading cards. Ben has 7 times as many ...
- math - Aaron and Benga have a total of 976 trading cards. Benga has 7 times as ...
- english - Hello, Where can I find more information about Aaron the moor in "...
- Math - How much did Aaron start with? Aaron spent 3/7 of his money. He gave ¼ of...
- Math Homework, Help - Aaron is 21 years younger than Ryan. In 5 years Ryan will ...
- algebra - Aaron is 13 years older than shelby. in nine years, Aaron will be ...
- math - aaron is 13 years older than shelby. in nine years aaron will be twice as...
- math - thank you! this one is hard. four tellers are in a contest to see who can...