Posted by Diana on Friday, May 20, 2011 at 8:50am.
1. I've posted this question before (once, the other post wasn't me)and I have still got no help.
Peg spends $7.50 a week for grapefruit. When grapefruit are out of season, she gets 1 fewer grapefruit than when they are in season. If the price decreases by $3 per dozen in season, how many dollars will it cost to buy a dozen grapefruit out of season?
- Help with Math. - Reiny, Friday, May 20, 2011 at 9:08am
Let the price per dozen in season be $x
let the price per dozen out of season be $(x+3)
So in season for $7.50 she can buy 7.5/x dozen
or 90/x grapefruits
Out of season for $7.50 she can buy 7.5/(x+3) dozen or 90/(x+3) grapefruits
so 90/x - 90/(x+3) = 1
multiply by x(x+3)
90(x+3) - 90x = x(x+3)
expand and simplify
x^2 + 3x - 270 = 0
(x+18)(x-15) = 0
x = -18 or x = 15 , but clearly x > 0
price out of season was defined as x+3
so out of season they sold at $18 per dozen, WOW!
in season she could buy 7.5/15 = .5 dozen or 6 grapefruits
out of season she could buy 7.5/18 or .4166667 dozen or 5 grapefruits
is 6-5 = 1 ? YES
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math: I need help. - Peg spends $7.50 a week for grapefruit. When grapefruit are...
- math - peg spends $7.50 a week for grapefruit. When grapefruit are out of season...
- math - Peg spends $7.50 a week for grapefruit. When grapefruit are out of season...
- 8th grade - Find the number of Calories in a grapefruit and an orange. (1) An ...
- 4th grade math - kayla bought a bag of grapefruit. each morning for 5 days she ...
- Calculus - a grapefruit is tossed straight up with an initial velocity of 50 ft/...
- Chemistry - If the pH of grapefruit is 3 and the pH of beer is 5, how many times...
- Logic - Three boxes of grapefruit are incorrectly labeled. The labels read "...
- Physics - A 810.0 kg pink grapefruit is accelerated horizontally from rest to ...
- Statistics - You have spent a very long time training your dog to open the ...