Posted by Diana on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 8:39am.
Alice, Beth, and Charlene start climbing a staircase, each with her left foot on step 1 and then her right foot on the next consecutive step. Alice climbs one step at a time, Beth two steps at a time, and Charlene three steps at a time. Each lands on the top step with her left foot. Compute the minimum number of stairs in the staircase.
I'm not sure how to do this. Should i set up equations?
- Math - Reiny, Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 8:52am
How about making a chart, with 4 columns
# A B C
1 L L L
2 R - -
3 L R -
4 R - R
5 L L -
6 R - -
7 L R L
8 R - -
9 L L -
10R - R
11L R -
12 R - -
13 L L L , AHHH, all left feet on 13th step
step # when Alice will be left footed
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 ... (every 2nd step)
step # when Beth will be left-footed
1 5 9 13 17 ... ( every 4th step)
step # when Charlene will be left-footed
1 7 13 19 ... (every 6 steps)
first common number is 13
Answer this Question
- math - How many different ways can an elf climb a ten-step staircase if he or ...
- Geometry - An ant starts at a foot of a staircase and crawls to the base of the ...
- ALGEBRA HELP - When solving the equation, what property was used to go from step...
- math(5th grade) - some 1 centimeter squares are arranged in a staircase pattern...
- Quick math help - In which step below does a mistake first appear in simplifying...
- Creative Writing - I know I asked this earlier, but right now I want to know if ...
- proof by mathematical induction - subject is PreCalulus. 2^(k+3) = and < (k+3...
- MATH - A student is solving the equation 81x – 1 = 3x + 2. Step 1: 81x – 1 = 3x...
- Algebra - A brick staircase has a total of 16 steps The bottom step requires 112...
- MATH - URGENT!!! - In how many ways can you spell the word COOL in the grid ...